Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

April 28th, 2015 05:00

Migrate Networker Server/Storage Node and File volumes to new hardware

I am running two Networker servers.

1) Windows Server/Storage Node/NMC has 1 standalone LTO SAS tape drive for cloning, 6 'file' type devices on direct attached SAS hardware for active backups, and 3 'file' type devices on direct attached SAS hardware for active staging.

2) Windows Storage Node has 1 direct attached SAS LTO tape library for active backups.

Both servers are running NW 8.2.1.2.

Server 1 and its attached storage hardware is ready for retirement.  I am purchasing a new server with direct attached storage to replace it.  The new server will run NW 8.2.1.2 as well.

I ran the SoIVe program to find the steps for migrating to a new server with a new name.  That part is fairly clear.  What it doesn't tell me is how to get the 'file' devices, media, and savesets over to the new hardware.  Is there instructions for doing that or how can that be done?

2.4K Posts

April 28th, 2015 06:00

The easiest way is to really replace the hosts (with their old names and IP). In this case you just need to recover the bootstrap save set which contains the media db and the resources. A Standard NetWorker DR procedure.

The only thing which you would really need are new auth codes because the SID and consequently the hostid have changed.

40 Posts

April 28th, 2015 07:00

But if the new server will not be attached to the old server's devices, won't the restored bootstrap reference devices that no longer exist?

April 28th, 2015 08:00

Hi  about BackupServer recovery you can use a cold copy of your ../../nsr on Source NetWorker Server:

1) Install Networker on the new host with the same name and IP of the current one

2) stop Networker services

3) delete ../../nsr and put the ../../nsr copied from source backup server

4) start services

about AFTD devices i'm not sure if you can manually copy them and then rescanning after you re-created them on "new" backup server. Is it possible zoning old aftd to the "new" backup server only in order to clone the old savesets to the new hw attached.

regards,

-Nicola

40 Posts

April 28th, 2015 09:00

The new server will have more than enough storage to double that of the original.  I wonder if I could recreate the file devices using the same folder paths and copy over the device contents to the new server?  That way, wouldn't the server not know the device/file media had been moved?

2.4K Posts

April 28th, 2015 10:00

If you want to go the supported way, you must reattach your existing backup hardware at least for recoveries or to migrate the backups to your new hardware. If the device names are wrong, you can easily reconfigure them.

The unsupported way is to copy the device/volume directories and to configure the new devices.

Which method you use mostly depends on the amount of data and the time you need for this process.

The only thing what you must avoid under all circumstances is the (accidental) re-labeling of the volumes.

No Events found!