Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 8th, 2006 07:00

NMC with 7.1.x

Hi,
Can I use NMC 7.3.2 for managing 7.1.x Servers?Does this require any Licenses to be purchased from EMC?
Thank you
Saleesh

14.3K Posts

December 24th, 2006 03:00

Xander, is official EMC licensing stand that single NMC can be used for multiple servers without additional fee or license required? From what I have seen so far no. Currently there is no check, but currently there is no check for many other things which doesn't mean they should be ignored. I would once again suggest to check that with licensing. Last time I did additional license was required to make it official and legal. I'm not aware if that has changed, but it is it would be good if someone can say that here officially ;)

2K Posts

December 8th, 2006 11:00

NMC used to be an add on product for all versions prior to 7.3. It had to be purchased separately as NEtworker Management Console & Administration Connection.

Networker 7.3.x onwards NMC is a part of Networker, therefore you do not need to buy it saparately now.

Therefore, you can actually use NMC 3.1 for managing NW 7.1.x but need to purchase the licenses.

14.3K Posts

December 8th, 2006 14:00

Please note that NW management questions should go to this forum:
https://forums.emc.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=185

Can I use NMC 7.3.2 for managing 7.1.x Servers?

Yes.

Does this require any Licenses to be purchased from EMC?

Extra license is required if single NMC server will monitor more than one NW server.

74 Posts

December 23rd, 2006 16:00

Hi,

the above is not correct, you can manage and monitor a nw7.1 server from a nw7.3 install without using extra licenses (some of my colleagues just install NW7.3.2 on their pc and then run NMC from their own PC). backing it up is not supported however. You will need a NW7.3 server to backup a NW7.3 management console as the saveset for nmc3.2 is different from nmc3.1.

I do believe however that NW7.3 client is not supported by NW7.1.x, you need NW7.2+ for that, but you should check a few TID's and TIN's, the info was in one of those a few months ago.

74 Posts

December 24th, 2006 01:00

Anuj,

we have a setup with nmc3.2.2 installed, managing several pre 7.3 server without the need for other licenses than the server license used to enable the server.

74 Posts

No prob, glad to share my knowledge.

2K Posts

That's great. I think they have stopped checking licensing after NMC 3.2 onwards.

Thanks for the input.

2K Posts

When you say NMC 7.3.2, it is actually NMC 3.2 with NW server 7.3.2.

Ideaslly you should need a liceses for using only NMC for managing any pre- 7.3 setup. or if it was NEtworker edition, NMC licenses was bundled free with it.
No Events found!