Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2007 06:00

Name resolution failed for the host with IP address: n.n.n.n

Can not figure out what's wrong. This particular client is newly created and has no backup earlier. Every time I try to start a backup from it, it always ends with the error mesage "save: error, Name resolution failed for the host with IP address: 10.161.88.3".
Have record the name in the Hosts file on both the client and the server, the long one as well as the short. Have also double checked the servers file on the client. Have emptied the temp folder on both the client and the server and restarted the services. Nothing seem to work.
I can ping the server from the client. Ping also works from the server to the client. Both with the short or the long name.
What more can be done?

194 Posts

July 1st, 2007 13:00

Sten,

Did you double check the name of the client defined within NetWorker?

Vic

4 Posts

July 1st, 2007 14:00

Hi Vic,

Yes, I even did recreate the client definition once. Also installed the client package once again. I'm beginning to think that the message is misleading. It may be something else than the name resolution but I can not figure out what.
The server is in the bol.internal domain and the client in the boliden.internal domain. Both can ping each other, with the short as well with the long names. So that's not a problem. Why I always get this "name resolution" error is strange, thats why I think it may be something else.

Sten

244 Posts

July 1st, 2007 22:00

Hi there,

Could you please provide the information if the CLIENT is multihomed (multiple NICs) ? I've seen such behavior when the routing table on the client side is set in such way that the communication with NW server is done via different NIC than that defined as client resource.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 02:00

Hi,

The client uses two NIC's in a team (Broadcom, BASP Virtual Adapter) with only one IP address (Smart Load Balancing). We use this config on several clients without any backup problems.
Any more suggestions on that?

244 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 02:00

Could you please privide output from:
1. hostname
2. cat /etc/hosts
3. ifconfig -a

724 Posts

July 2nd, 2007 13:00

Also, you did mention tests using ping, have you tried to test using nslookup? Try nslookup from both client and server, using short and long names, and the ip address.

July 11th, 2007 11:00

Do an nslookup for the client from the server, and for the server from the client.
Also check that there is an entry in DNS for the client in question.

23 Posts

July 11th, 2007 15:00

here are a few things to look at.
First what is the OS of the Client. If Windows OS the binding order of the nics should have the nic with the IP address you are using bound first.

Verify the name of the client server. In windows the computer can have a short and long name (not including the domain name) Verify the long name of the client server is used first in the host file. Your host file entries on both servers should be in the same format. Ie
IP address long name short name domain name>

verify the host file entry is correct (no typo's)

If there is a storage node involved be sure it has a host file entry for the client server if you are using its media devices. Also be sure the client server has a host file entry for the storage node.

Leave the servers file blank (no entries)

Try to backup from the client side. If this works then this helps narrow down the problem.

Do the nslookup suggestion as posted by someone else.

Also try rpcinfo from the backup server

try recreating the client with the short name, if that doesn't work create it with the long name.

Be sure the client software was installed with admin rights.

159 Posts

July 12th, 2007 09:00

Hi Sten,

Is there between the server and the client any firewall?

Inma.
No Events found!