Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

8 Posts

July 9th, 2019 03:00

Need help with License and configuration

He have a networker server crash and we do not have the licence enabler and auth code with us . We have EBS7.4  on solaris and neither EMC/Oracle or Dell are able to provide a new licence . I have able to start the networker and use it with Eval and temporary enabler  for the time being. 

I have few questions -

1) Is there a way i can use the networker without re-configuring the jukebox so that i dont loose the client ID and use the same configuration ?

2) How many times can i use the enabler code before it becomes invalid ?

3) Is there another method to use the networker with same configuration overcoming the license issue ?

2.4K Posts

July 9th, 2019 04:00

Even an expired license should not prevent you from a restore. Of course, you will get an error message but the restore should not be a problem. With the pseudo auth code 'grace', you will get 15 more days before the license expires. Of course you can apply 'grace' only once per license. The best way to retrieve and store the configuration is via nsradmin. Just execute it on the NW Server, then use the following commands within the nsradmin shell:

nsradmin> . type: nsr client

nsradmin> show name; client id

nsradmin> p

nsradmin>; q

and save the output.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Well, if you are trying to over come the licensing imposed by EMC then you are actually violating their licensing terms. Why are you still holding on to the older version of the NetWorker? That said here are the answers to your questions.

- Re-configuring a "Jukebox" does not result in changing the client id what so ever.

- You can use a unauthorized license enabled code only once on a backup server.

- Licensing is the key to enable any feature on any application, you will be able to use the application only for 45 days without a license.

Question: Hasn't the bootstrap restore bought back the enabler and auth codes of the NetWorker ? Or is it earlier Solaris machine is unrecoverable and you are trying to restore the NetWorker to a new host ?

I have no intention to violate the license restriction if they give us license but as per them this version is out of support. New versions are on linux and our set up is for solaris. My client ID is changing when i am reconfiguring the whole setup to re use the Eval period that is deleting /nsr/res and nsr/mm directories as license information is stored in these directories . Once i deleted these files and restarted the networker i got new client ID. Answer to your question - Question: Hasn't the bootstrap restore bought back the enabler and auth codes of the NetWorker ? Or is it earlier Solaris machine is unrecoverable and you are trying to restore the NetWorker to a new host ? Ans : The solaris machine was unrecoverable so we have to rebuild it by scratch .Its a new installation and backup of that server is not available. I have no backup to restore the networker.

July 9th, 2019 05:00

Hello Bingo 

@bingo.1 wrote:

Even an expired license should not prevent you from a restore. Of course, you will get an error message but the restore should not be a problem. With the pseudo auth code 'grace', you will get 15 more days before the license expires. Of course you can apply 'grace' only once per license. The best way to retrieve and store the configuration is via nsradmin. Just execute it on the NW Server, then use the following commands within the nsradmin shell:

nsradmin> . type: nsr client

nsradmin> show name; client id

nsradmin> p

nsradmin>; q

and save the output.

I have configured it new and this query gives me new client ID that has been configured now.

But as soon as i remove the /nsr/res , /nsr/mm  and /nsr/index and restart the networker i am getting new client ID.

Shall i not remove /nsr/index files and delete only /nsr/res and /nsr/mm to bring the networker back to eval period so that i can use it for 30 days with same client ID.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 9th, 2019 06:00

Anything holding you from upgrading to a supported version of NetWorker?

If you are still supporting legacy systems then you can let them be on an older client version they should work OK with a newer backup server although EMC would deny support to those systems in case of any issues.

2.4K Posts

July 9th, 2019 06:00

You should be able to re-generate the client with its old client id - otherwise it would make no sense for scanner to report it.

July 9th, 2019 22:00

Yes we cannot upgrade to new version .

As i informed ,EMC has already denied support as we have Solaris set up .

July 9th, 2019 22:00

How to re-generate same client ID ?

2.4K Posts

July 9th, 2019 23:00

Do NOT use the wizard - it has restricted capabilities. Use 'New Client' instead.

Select the tab 'Globals (1 of 2).

You will find the 'Client id' edit field in the upper left hand corner.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

July 10th, 2019 20:00

Just to clarify, are you under the impression that getting your client ID for the backup server's will make the license valid again? If So, then your assumption is wrong. The license depends on the hostid which in-turn is generated based of multiple parameters one of which is the hardware. If the hardware is changed then the hostid would change and there is no way to get the old hostid back.

No Events found!