Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2013 12:00

NetWorker VBA (VMware Backup Appliance)

Hi,

Does anyone has experience with NetWorker 8.1 and the new VMware Backup integration with the VBA (VMware Backup Appliance)?

I already did the integration with the internal VBA proxy appliance and two external proxy appliances to get a maximum of 24 concurrent sessions, but somehow the VBA internal appliance does not balance the other queued jobs to the external proxies and its always running with 8 concurrent sessions. From the Appliance side is not much to configure and the external proxies only need to be registered to the VBA appliance. The load should be automatically distributed between the internal/external proxies if there are more than 8 sessions in parallel but it doesn´t.

Any help/information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andi

43 Posts

May 8th, 2014 13:00

Hi Greg,

Of course i can answer this as i´m now playing since more than six months with this pretty nice stuff

The concurrent option allows you to process mulitple VM´s concurrently at the same time, mostly up to 8 or with two external proxies (recommendation) up to 24 VM backups in parallel. If this option is not applied only one VM after the other will be backed up.

Information from the VMware integration Guide:

To avoid waiting until all backups complete before the clone action begins, you can choose to make the operations concurrent, similar to NetWorker’s immediate cloning option which allows a group to start cloning upon each save set completion.

To enable and mark actions to run concurrently with their preceding actions:

1. Open the Create VMware Policy or Edit VMware Protection Policy window.

2. Select the appropriate checkboxes under the Definition tab, as shown in Figure 20 on

page 54.

EMC® NetWorker and VMware

Release 8.1 SP1

Integration Guide

P/N 302-

Hope that helps.

Best regards from Austria

Andi

Hi Andi,

We also have recently set up this configuration (one EBR Application with one external proxy) and the savestream are well balanced between the 2 VM (16 savestream concurent).

Are you sure you are linked your external proxy to the VBA?

Cheers

Greg

Hi,

Happy to heard that. You will maybe be able to answer to this question (as I didn't found any info on NEtworker Doc):

- What the concurrent option in the VBA policy is doing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Greg

1 Attachment

43 Posts

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your feedback. I´ve already forget about this entry but we were able to fix the issue. We had to restart the avagent service on the external proxies and afterwards it was working properly.

I will close this thread.

Thanks for Feedback and best regards,

Andi

43 Posts

May 8th, 2014 14:00

Greg,

You´re welcome.

I´ll go ahead to mark this thread as closed.

Enjoy your stay @EMC World 2014.

Regards,

Andi

Hi Andi,

Perfect, it's exactly what i was looking for.

Best regards from Las Vegas for some more few hours ...

Greg

43 Posts

Hi Gred,

Would be nice if you could share some experience/information from the EMC World 2014 Keynotes like NetWorker 8.2 which should be available at least until the end of the second Quarter of 2014.

I think the community will appreciate it very much.

Regards,

Andi

No Events found!