Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2016 07:00

NetWorker catalogue replication

Hi,

I have to replicate the NetWorker server backup catalog to another site and i would like to have some inputs as how to do so using DataDomain systems.

The indexes and bootstrap are sent to the same pool and DDBoost device.

I know that i could replicate by using clone based replication using the NetWorker interface, however, is it possible to replicate that data directly from the DataDomain replication interface ?

DDBoost Device path: DATADOMAINX:/NETWORKER SERVER/DDBOOST DEVICE

In the DataDomain, i can create a separate MTREE for this need.  I can't seem to link that new MTREE to a new DDBoost device in NetWorker.  The device create itself, but the labeling send different error message.

The principal problem seem to be in the path, since i create the DDBoost device in NetWorker, the NetWorker server appears in the path of the Device, so from my understanding all DDBoost devices created on a specific NetWorker server will store their data to the MTREE by the name of this NetWorker server.

I trying to figure out if it is at all possible to replicate only the backup indexes and bootstrap at the DD level.  All help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Christian

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

March 30th, 2016 08:00

First to use a MTREE as a DD device in NetWorker it has to be created as a storage unit on the DD. When you create a DD device using the device configuration wizard for the first time, NetWorker creates a Storage unit with the same name as the hostname of the NetWorker server and then creates a folders within this Storage unit.

But, you can create a DD device manually and provide any path to a Storage unit, it is not mandatory for the folder to be under a storage unit with the same name as the hostname of the NetWorker server. You can then add this to a MTEE replication context and get it replicated where ever you want to.

I would want to understand why do you wanna do it this way, cause this is a hard way of achieving what you want to achieve. Why not NetWorker take care of replication so that you can pull out information from the media database.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 30th, 2016 08:00

When creating ddboost devices with NW they are all placed in mtree which carries the name of datazone (backup server). To replicate it, simply use nsrclone (and if you use ddboost you take advantage of CCR) and that's it.  No need for any manual work.

226 Posts

April 4th, 2016 22:00

Hi carriech3,

Currently you might be using DDBoost devices for writing the backup data as well as the Catalog information. You can create a separate pool "Index" and redirect all the Indexes as well as bootstrap to it (add index:* and bootstrap in the pool options and select all groups into it).  This devices should be an AFTD created on DD using either CIFS/NFS. Later you can replicate that from DD using directory replication.

77 Posts

April 5th, 2016 12:00

Hi Gautam,

Thank you for you answer, that's what we are going to aim for.  I have some issue with accessing the CIFS share on my 2012 server, looking into it and DD support as been ping also to try to figure it out.

Do you know if i will have to input the user to access the share in each NetWorker client ?

Thank you,

Christian

226 Posts

April 5th, 2016 18:00

Hi Christian,

Client is not required as long as the user details are present in the Device Properties. Sometimes CIFS share does not work until you run the command "adminaccess authentication add cifs"

No Events found!