Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2007 00:00

Netware and Storage Nodes

Hi

I'm trying to change my Netware clients to backup to a Storage Node instead of the backup Server, but I keep getting RPC errors. It only happens with the 7.2.1 Netware clients - the 4.x clients all happily backup to the storage node.

When I change it to backup to the server again it works.

I have tested communications between the Storage Node and the Netware client, and is working 100%.

Environment: Netware 6.5 SP 5 with Networker Client for Netware v7.2.1, backup server and storage node is 7.2.1.

Errors:

* grpc-nov:GWINS: NetWorker : Client Host Node : GRPC-NOV is cluster
aware
* grpc-nov:GWINS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: RPC receive operation failed.
A
network connection could not be established with the host.
* grpc-nov:GWINS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: RPC send operation failed. A
* grpc-nov:GWINS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: Unknown host
* grpa-nov:SYS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: Unknown host
* grpa-nov:SYS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: Unknown host
* grpc-nov:GWINS: NetWorker : Client Host Node : GRPC-NOV is cluster
aware
* grpc-nov:GWINS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: Unknown host
* grpc-nov:SYS: NetWorker : Client Host Node : GRPC-NOV is cluster
aware
* grpc-nov:SYS: SAVE.NLM: RPC error: RPC send operation failed. A

Any idea why this is not working?

14.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2007 01:00

What about rpcinfo and nsradmin query from SN side towards client (not sure if you rpcinfo on Novell side, but if you do then it would be good to test it against SN).

28 Posts

Yes, I can ping using hostname, hostname.domainname and with ping -a ipaddress.

14.3K Posts

Are you sure these two can communicate?

28 Posts

How do one do the nsradmin query from the SN to the client?

14.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2007 02:00

echo print | nsradmin -p 390113 -i - -s

11 Posts

April 5th, 2007 18:00

The v4.22 client for NetWare does NOT talk to a storage node. I know, I packet traced it and complained, that is when I learned that the 4.22 client relay's thru the main backup server, to get to the storagenode. Hence using the storagenode with the netware 4.22 client is really ineffecient...

Now I am successfully using the 7.2.1 client to talk directly to a storagenode and that works pretty good. I don't recall having to do much odd to get that to work. The only thing popping into my head is to make sure that you have put the storagenode dns/ip info into the sys:/etc/hosts file. If it isn't there then the client doesn't think it is authorized to talk to it... so even tho you can do dns lookups, that isn't good enough... has to be in hosts... I have learned over the years that 'unknown host' often times mean unauthorized host when it comes to networker.

14.3K Posts

April 6th, 2007 00:00

The v4.22 client for NetWare does NOT talk to a storage node.

Actually it does talk, but all data goes over the server and not directly to storage node. This is truth for ALL NetWorker clients based on 4.x code as storage node concept did not exist at that time. When Legato made 7.x based client that was major step forward (even there is much work to be done yet).
No Events found!