Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2014 04:00

Networker 8.1117 NMC problem: gstd.exe service don't start after mmrecov

Hello,

I'm doing some recovery tests. We have Networker 8.1117 on Windows 2008 R2 sever.

For recovery tests, I have installed networker on my test server on the same version than my production one. It was running fine, I was able to access the NMC without problem.

So I have start my recover just as I was doing with Networker 7.6 :

Load my tape without mounting, run a scanner -B \\.\Tape0\ to get the bootstrap id and the file number.

Run the "mmrecov" to restore the "res" folder

Then I have stopped the networker services, renamed the original "res" folder as "res.old" and the "res.R" as "res"  

An finally restart the Networker services.

But this time the "EMC GST Service" failed to start. So the Management Console is not available.

Networker is running fine. I was able to recreate my index using "nsrck -L7" command and I am able to restore data using Networker Client.

I have tried to remove and reinstall the NMC but I still have the same problem.

I have tried to upgrade networker to version 8.1118 : no change.

When I run the gstd.exe program and the apache server on dos windows it works... but they failed to start as services.

Any idea ?

14.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 04:00

a) You should ask this in NetWorker community - this is general ECN area

b) you should really start colleting bootstrap reports instead of scanning if you care about good DR practice

c) With 8.1 mmrevov is depreciated and you should use nsrdr

Now, in respect to NMC service, I assume this runs on the same box?  By default data from NMC should not be affected as it just reads data from NSR database which you restored.  Why it doesn't run you should check in NMC logs.

Additional question; when you reinstalled NMC, did you also remove old NMC database or you kept old one?

14.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 05:00

Hi,

As author on right side you should have option to move it.  If not, one of admins here will do it.

I guess you can skip scanner part as it just takes time.  Given that you do not remove mdb record prior to your test, there is no point of scanning at all.

It is really strange that service does not start even if you removed DB because this means that service does not start due to not reading its own data most likely and this data is not touched by mmrecov in any way (different data).  Normally, gstd should even remain running while you were doing mmrecov (it would not collect data due to nsrexecd being bounced on and off, but that should not matter - at least on UNIX/Linux hosts it does not).  So, the way description goes now if might be that gstd is not running for reason not related to mmrecov at all.

When you check event log, do you see at which point gstd service started to have issues?  Note that with new DB NMC would know nothing of your setup so this is why I doubt it is related to NSR actions.  What you can do, just to be 100% sure, is uninstall NMC, remove completely folder structure from NMC so that nothing on file system is left of NMC, install it and see if it works then.

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 05:00

Thanks for your answer Hrvoje.

a) It's my first time on this forum... Can I move my ask to Networker community ?

b) I'm also collecting bootstrap reports, but I still scann (for double check I suppose )

c) I don't know nsrdr, I will give a look.

Yes, NMC is installed on the same box.

I have ckecked the NMC log but the service failed before writing anything in the logs. When I run gstd.exe from command line, I have informations written in the log, but no error because it works...

When I have reinstalled NMC, I have tried both, keeping the database or removing everything: same problem. 

14.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 06:00

But one question - this is test system?  And you are placing back data from that system and not any other?

14 Posts

Well, I'm going to restart from the begining. I'm removing everything. I will install the whole package again. And restore my data using nsrdr instead of mmrecov and I will let you know.

14.3K Posts

I assume that for production you do not have NMC on the same host?  Well, you might have it, but if I remember correctly recommendation is that if you have 50+ clients you have separate box for NMC.

14 Posts

yes it's my test system for Data Recovery Plan. I'm trying to update my Recovery procedure with NW 8.1. It was working fine with NW 7.6 but we have upgraded the production server to 8.1 this summer.

14 Posts

I have moved it, I hope it's the right place.

About NMC reinstallation, I have also tried to remove all the path and reboot before install it again. I even tried to change the installation directory (it's installed on D: drive on our production server...) it's still the same song.

And if I remove everithing and do a fresh install for the whole package (networker server +client +NMC) it works. Until I restore "res" folder from tape.

14.3K Posts

Welcome to right place

It is strange.  Because NMC and NSR are independent of each other.  So, you have nsr and that part works.  Now, assuming NMC is installed on top, you install it and it is tabula rasa when starting from no data.  At that point, service should already run.  If this is not the case, res by NW has nothing to do with it as NMC even doesn't have your server defined yet.

If NMC would crash after you add backup server to NMC, then, that would be different story.

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

1. I have reinstall from the begining. Networker 8.1117 and NMC were working fine.
  2. I have load a tape with bootstrap backup and run nsrdr command.
  3. I have followed the nsrdr and replied the questions...
  4. nsrdr stopped the NW services (including the gstd)
  5. at the end of nsrdr process, I restart the NW services but the gstd don't start.

gstd_error.JPG

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 07:00

Yes, NMC is on the same host in production. But don't worry, we have less than 15 clients.

14.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2014 08:00

ok, if you are in the mood for play, try these two variation:

Variation 1:

- do the same thing, but now stop NMC services before doing nsrdr - this way NMC is not affected in any way by DR.  Run NMC service.

Variation 2:

- do same as variation 1, but this time also copy while NMC folder (including binaries and database).  When done with DR, put back data and try to run NMC service

If this doesn't work, then I can't see what can be causing this because nsrdr should not touch any DB or service dependent thing for NMC.  Of course, you can go even further by comparing nsr folder which has been returned with original one when it all works (assuming that in test scenario there is no difference between them so you should not expect to see any difference after nsrdr). 

2.4K Posts

Let me suggest that you

- try to start the the service from the command line (net start gstd)

- run gstd from the command line

- investigate the log file gstd.raw for details.

If no problem is visible you should increase the debug level.

14 Posts

I will try the 2 variations you have suggested. But first, I can tell you that bringing back the installation's "res" folder allows the service to start again... so that's definitively linked. Isn't it ?

14 Posts

Hi Bingo,

• "net start gstd" is not working better than service : "service is not responding..."
    netstartgstd.JPG
  • Running gstd.exe from command line is working fine.

gstd_from_cmd.JPG

is it possible to run the service with debug option ?

No Events found!