Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2017 23:00

Networker 9.1/9.2 upgrade broken afterwards

I just recently upgraded my environment from NW 8.2.4.6 to 9.2.  We have only a Data Domain for backups storage so we are only dealing with boost devices. I also upgraded my Data Domain to 6.1.0. Now, backup sessions will open with various clients but boost devices won't show up to move data. It has random moments when it works, just off 3 of the 9 storage nodes, and when it does, the data moves rather slow.  There is no detectible reason why its doing this, I've checked all the obvious things (client settings, pools...etc). And reminder, this was an upgrade, so things should be working like they were before.90% of my environment cannot backup now and my customer is quite irritated with me. I've opened tickets, but I'll take any advise. The master server is RHL 6, all the storage nodes are either the same Linux or Solaris.  Is there any reason the boost devices, storage nodes or data domain would stop answering calls for backups after this upgrade??

October 9th, 2017 02:00

Hi,

did you also update the NW clients? Or only NW server, storage nodes and DataDomain?
NW 8.2.4. (according to my understanding) does not support DDOS 6.1. In case of clients still with NW 8.2.4., two possible issues might be possible:

1. Clients are now not able to do client direct backup, storage node should now do the deduplication. Did you assign the storage nodes to valid ifgroups?
  2. Maybe, there is a bug (or whatever) in the fall back from client direct to not client direct. Did you try to disable the client direct feature?

Can you describe your problem in more detail? At least for me, it's not clear, whether the problem is:

• that clients are not doing a client direct backup any more.
  • the storage nodes are not doing a deduplicated backup.
  • the storage node didn't backup any more.

BTW: Did you delete the /nsr/tmp folders after upgrade?

Regards

Michael

14.3K Posts

October 9th, 2017 02:00

What was your reason to go to 9.2 in the first place?  9.1.x code is more stable while 9.2 has just been released in some way so 9.1.1.4 would be better match.  You won't find many folks here with 9.2 so I guess this may make your troubleshooting path more difficult.  For boost, there is compatibility matrix between boost APIs distributed between client versions and DDOS so you should have checked that before upgrade too.

No Events found!