Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 7th, 2010 06:00

Networker Sql server module and Default pool

Hi

I'm having a weird problem with the networker sql server module and tapes from the default pool.

I have two clients with sql server databases that i backup daily using the networker sql server module.

The problem that i have is that those clients use a tape from the pool mssql for the backups, but they always finish

using also a tape from the Default pool! i dont understand why they keep using this tape from the default pool

if they are entitled to use only the tape from the pool mssql. i have checked that this tape has enough space,

and also checked that both clients only use the tape from the Default pool for saving save set MSSQL: level incr

with a tiny size of 416bytes....the rest of the data nearly 99.9% of it goes to the tape from the pool mssql.

Does anyone have a clue of what's going on?

greetings

September 7th, 2010 06:00

By the way i forgot to tell you, i'm using networker server 7.5 sp3, networker sql server module  5.2 sp1, windows 2008

and sql server 2005 and 2008.

September 7th, 2010 07:00

You've answered your question then!  Since the incremental savesets do not match the criteria for mssql pool they have to use another pool, and if there is no other pool that matches they will go to the default pool.  If you amend your selection criteria for the mssql pool to include backups at level incr that will resolve this issue, unless of course it may cause a different issue!

The saveset that is saved to the tape from the default pool is named MSSQL but are all of level incr.

I have noticed in the selection criteria that in the level option i only marked full, but the savesets being backed up in the default pool's tape

are of level incr. Do i have to mark incr in the selection criteria for my pool mssql so those incr save sets go to the mssql pool's tape instead

of the default pool's one??

The way your pools are configured in some way restricts part of the backups.  What is the saveset name(s) that go to the Default pool?  What are the selection criteria you have set on the mssql pool?

Hey guys

I can assured you that the savesets being backed up in the default pool are MSSQL: all of level incr. I think  the problem  is

that the level option incr is not marked in the selection criteria. i will try changing it and i will se tomorrow...

thanks!

My first thought, but he states it is the MSSQL: saveset...

Is it saving the Index to the Default pool? Make sure you check the box on the mssql pool to store index entries.

I noticed that, but it looked like his answer was not the actual saveset that saved to Default (which you were asking) but rather what he thought was supposed to save to Default.

Maybe he can provide some clarity? (Or maybe I just am misreading him?)

Message was edited by: Zguy28

September 7th, 2010 08:00

That is indeed strange. When my full's run on SQL, the savesets are all full level (including index). Only when I actually specify incrementals are they level Incr and the index is level 9.

Are they together in a savegroup? If so, what is the schedule?

Maybe that will provide a clue as to why.

Also, I'm running 7.6, but I doubt that has anything to do with it since I previously ran 7.5 with same clients.

Message was edited by: Zguy28

that's a good question, this only happens with those 2 clients that use the networker sql server module...

i back up them full but for some reason the networker saves some incr savesets besides the full ones...

with the rest of clients that do not use this module( just backup their filesystems) all the savesets are full....

ideas?

Yes they are in a savegroup. The schedule is a full backup every tuesday, that's it..

One question I have is: how are you doing a mix of fulls and incrementals in one job?

I didn't think that was possible except when adding a new (as in never backed up) saveset to an existing job (in which case it does a full the 1st time).

September 7th, 2010 15:00

Now that is confusing!  Perhaps you have the completion report you could post so we could see the results of this group?

No Events found!