Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2016 06:00

Networker in a AWS Environment.

Hi Experts,

IHAC who is planning to use Networker to backup his EBS on AWS to S3. He had the following 2 questions :

1. Which version of Networker is Supported

2. List of API's exposed by Networker from an Orchestration standpoint

I have found out that Version 8.X is supported. However I am not able to find out the list of API's exposed by Networker. Please assist. Thanks in advance

17 Posts

May 13th, 2016 09:00

Excerpts from DPS Enhancements.

NetWorker 9.0 SP1: NetWorker, already known for its ability to help you centralize and simplify data protection, now delivers highly-efficient and secure backup WITHIN the Amazon AWS public cloud with CloudBoost. NetWorker 9.0 SP1 provides the same enterprise-level experience, whether your data protection strategy focus is on-premises backup, extended to private or public cloud for long-term retention of backups, and now for applications and data residing in the Amazon AWS public cloud. CloudBoost supports a wide range of leading object stores.  With EMC CloudBoost, NetWorker also delivers highly efficient and secure long-term retention of backups to EMC Elastic Cloud Storage private cloud, the Virtustream Storage Cloud enterprise-class public cloud object-storage service, as well as to a selection of additional public cloud offerings.

45 Posts

May 6th, 2016 05:00

Can't answer the first part offhand, but I'll try to get an answer by Monday.  However, I think the second part is an unclear question.

The "more normal" version of that question would be "what API calls are exposed by NetWorker".  ie, what calls can we make to the NetWorker API.  From checking, it seems that the development effort into the NetWorker API was abandoned a few years ago and there's no API available to customers.  However, there are still the standard, documented methods of getting information from NetWorker - mminfo and nsradmin being the main 2 forms.

NetWorker hooks into other applications' APIs to work with them to perform better backup and recovery.  This includes the backup APIs (and I can't give you the exact names of these) for Exchange, Oracle, Sybase, DB2, SQL Server, etc.  You'd need to check their documentation for the publicly exposed calls though (and "strings" for the ones which aren't publicly documented).  NetWorker generally hooks into these using shared libraries/DLLs locally installed and linked on the application's server.

14.3K Posts

May 10th, 2016 06:00

If I remember correctly, it is 9SP1 which will support writes into AWS (at least that is what has been said last week at EMC World).

31 Posts

May 13th, 2016 09:00

Akshay,

This definitely qualifies for the "Good News of the Day" . Thanks

No Events found!