Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

40 Posts

October 19th, 2022 05:00

Networker upgrade from 19.2.1 to 19.7

When upgrading our Networker server, which has a separate NMC, when it comes to the NMC Options, is the "authentication host" the server with the NMC on it or the Networker server?

2.4K Posts

October 19th, 2022 05:00

It is the host where NMC runs.

May I suggest that you better keep both versions in sync.

2.4K Posts

October 19th, 2022 06:00

Correct.

I just wanted to explain that you then should upgrade both nodes at the same time to the same version. I personally would start with the SN/NMC node.

40 Posts

October 19th, 2022 06:00

Hi,

We have Networker server and a storage node that hosts the NMC.  When I run the 19.7 installer on the Network server, it doesn't give me the option of just upgrading server, client and web UI, it includes the NMC which I can't untick because it's greyed out.

40 Posts

October 19th, 2022 07:00

Hi,

Do you know why, when I run the upgrade to 19.7 on the Networker server, it won't let me "untick" the NMC?

The plan was to upgrade the Networker Server/client/web UI.  Then over to the Storage Node and upgrade Storage node/client/NMC.

2.4K Posts

October 19th, 2022 11:00

As you mentioned the "untick" option, I assume that your OS is Windows. Only there is such GUI available for the installation/upgrade.

However, this behavior is weird - I just verified that if you do have only the NW server 19.2.1 - without NMC - installed, NMC will not even be checked if you upgrade.

That convinces me that in fact NMC is installed on your NW server. Of course you can do this even if you use another server for authentication. But this would explain what you see.

So please verify whether there is a "EMC GST..." service listed at all.

40 Posts

October 20th, 2022 01:00

Very good point.  I've just looked and although the service isn't running, it is there.  Approx 3 years ago, we only had the Networker server, which was everything.  Server/NMC/client etc..  Then we added a Storage node to it, and put the NMC on there.  But this would account for why the "untick" is greyed out.  How would we go forward with this?

2.4K Posts

October 20th, 2022 03:00

Unfortunately you cannot remove the packages on Windows separately like on UNIX/Linux. However, an update/upgrade is nothing else but

-  stop the services

-  remove the software, leaving the databases behind

-  re-install the software into the same location

-  start the services

So if you remove the software and just re-install the new version (now without NMC) that should do the job. The other alternative is to just update everything but then shutdown and disable the GST services.

40 Posts

October 21st, 2022 01:00

That's a great shout.  Thanks very much for your help with this..

November 7th, 2022 07:00

KB 000203840 "NetWorker: How to Uninstall NetWorker ManagementConsole without Installing Entire NetWorker Package(Windows)" states how to have NMC uninstalled.

"Summary:
This KB provides the process that is required to uninstall the NetWorker Management Console(NMC) package on Windows based systems, without having to uninstall the full NetWorker package. Thismethod may be wanted if the NMC must be removed without stopping or impacting services for otherNetWorker packages that are installed on the system."

So it used wmic to get the IdentifyingNumber and initiates an uninstall using wmic.

1. Open an Admin command prompt on the system where NMC package is installed.
2. Stop the NMC (gstd) services:
net stop gstd
3. Confi rm that NMC service has stopped:
tasklist | findstr gst
NOTE:
EMC GST services can also be checked from Windows services.msc.

4. Get the IdentifyingNumber of the NMC package with the following command:

wmic product where "Vendor = 'Dell EMC'" get name, IdentifyingNumber, PackageName

5. Using the IdentifyingNumber outputted, run the following command to remove the NMC package:

wmic product where "IdentifyingNumber = '{IdentifyingNumber}'" call uninstall

6. Confirm that NMC services were removed:
sc query state=all | findstr EMC
NOTE:
If no output is returned, all the GST (NMC) related services have been removed.

No Events found!