Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 7th, 2010 16:00

Networker with two(2) NICs

Hi Everyone

I want to know if I would have a problem If I put another a NIC in my server to connect to other server directly in other network.

I require this because I have problem with slow transfer network. Would I have any problem with name resolution of hostname of the server of networker defined in "/etc/hosts".

I remember an error about a "impersonate". Is ther any procedure about that? Networker with 2 NICs???

Thanks for your assistance.

-

Angel

1 Message

May 8th, 2010 23:00

I have SUN backup server running on two NICs each on different subnet. I don't see any problem. However if you would like to take backup accross the subnets the routing should be open from your defalut GW.

Name resolution should work fine as far as it is configured both sides(Client and backup server). Use 'nslookup' command to test the resolution.

22 Posts

May 9th, 2010 21:00

Hi,

You can have a look at the KB article "esg50319 - NetWorker backup over a dedicated network".

Hope this helps.

Regards

Hari Prakash.

55 Posts

May 10th, 2010 21:00

Hi,

You can have any number of NIC's connected to the backup server, but take care when you do the hostname to IP mapping on the clients host file and ensure that you are using the correct NIC for backup by using the "Server NetWork Interface" on the client properties.

HTH,

Rovin D'Souza.

2K Posts

May 11th, 2010 04:00

Multiple NICs are supported on Networker Server and clients. Infact, we have installations where each client and server have a second NIC dedicated for backup purposes. Use proper aliases and Server Network Interface in Client definition and ensure hostname resolution works fine.

17 Posts

May 11th, 2010 08:00

Hi

When you say proper aliases, you refere to my "/etc/hosts"

If my networkerserver name: networker.company.com and It has ip: 192.168.1.10 and I connect other NIC with IP: 172.16.1.10, How should I configure the hostname in "/etc/hosts" file

## hosts

networkerserver 192.168.1.10

networkerserver 172.16.1.10

Is thar correct..?? I think that I only define the hostname fqdn of the Networker Server.

Thanks for your assistance.

--

Angel

117 Posts

May 11th, 2010 23:00

Your host could look like this:

192.168.1.10 networker networker.company.com

172.16.1.10 any-other-name

Where any other name is different to networker. May be networker-b or networker1 but different.

In the sense of pure networking two different IPs reflect different hosts with different names.

NetWorker as an higher level application is now able to collect them together in the clients aliases field as one host.

Now the second name of your NW server can be used in the "server network interface" field of any other client assuming the client has also a second NIC to the same network as your server does.

When backup starts the initial connection between client ans server will be done via name "networker" but all other data transport then via the interface "any-other-name".

Two different IPs associated to the same name will raise problems, earlier or later.

14.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2010 01:00

You shouln't have any issues (we use around 5-6 NICs per client and 2 per server and storage nodes).  You just have to make sure routing is seto cirrectly and to make your life easier clients should have FQDN poiting out to prefered NIC while SN field and server's backup interface should also be used to defined prefered network of communication.

No Events found!