Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2009 05:00

Ping response but can't get to server. Just need some advice

All last week I had a downed disk (virtual tape) drive. So my backups wouldn't run. Last saturday (this current one) I finally got it fixed and watched the staging process begin (YEAY!!). Ok so I come in today and I try to access the server but nothing. If I do I ping I get a response; it's low but it's a response. The server itself appears to be busy and when I try remote desktop it times out. Should I be concerned? I can't get into networker to check the status of anything. Is it possible the backups are running so heavy (I know after a week of nothing it will want to do full backups of all my servers) that I can't get in? Should I just let it run? Thanks

244 Posts

August 10th, 2009 06:00

Try to use nsradmin/nsrwatch/NMC from external host. Maybe there is a problem with "gui/window" login but you can get this information pulling only NW processes from external host.

261 Posts

I tried running this from a server with the client only and this is what I get:

39078:nsradmin: program not registerd

there does not appear to be a networker server running on chmxxx.chm.lan

Did I type this in wrong? Got it from two seperate servers mind you I can NOT access my backup server

244 Posts

nsradmin -s

244 Posts

August 10th, 2009 07:00

I believe that the server is .... busy (or hangs). You can try to run:
rpcinfo -p to see whether the OS will report NW server is listening or not.

261 Posts

Ok. sorry for the confusion. I did the nsradmin -s and it's just...sitting there. Been about 5 minutes. No error but it's just sitting at the command I typed in

1.1K Posts

Sounds like it is busy but it could have got so busy that it hung - have you checked either in task manager or using prstat to see if the Networker server process nsrd appears to be doing anything.

261 Posts

August 10th, 2009 09:00

well when I tried to get back into my remote session again I saw 'delayed write failure' so I went to restart the server and .. yep, disk array had a failed disk so that is what the issue was. Your guys' help is the best so thanks for all of the things to check; I wrote them down :) Now to part two of my backups are fubar!
No Events found!