Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2012 06:00

Queries about Networker Bootstrap

How does NetWorker perform a bootstrap backup after every group runs?

As per my understanding, the Networker bootstrap will back up every time every group runs.

In the case that If there is two group running together at the same timeframe (eg: both backup start at 8PM), and the first group backup completed at 9PM, will the bootstrap backup kick start for the first group? or it will wait until the second group completed (9:15PM), and the bootstrap will perform the backup at one shot.

How does this algorithm work?

What is the full command that I can verify the bootstrap backup status?

Best Regards,

CS

47 Posts

June 12th, 2012 06:00

NW will actually create and backup the bootstrap when the NW server itself (as a client) will be backed up.

However, if this resource is not part of any enabled (active) group, NW will create the bootstrap whenever a group is started. This is just a precaution as NW does not know when he will might the next chance for a bootstrap backup.

To verify the bootstrap, i recommend the appropriate report "mminfo -B ".

445 Posts

June 12th, 2012 07:00

Chin,

As Ida Socca says is correct, but it is worth noting that is it best to avoid heavily loaded periods of the backup window to backup the NetWorker server as CFI, Media Database can be heavily accessed/updated during these.

Customers often choose to secure NetWorker server at the end of the backup window and then small saveset before the backups window starts again - this way you have two point in time copies which should contain backups from during the window and any actions taken for failed backups etc during the day.

Regards,

Bill Mason

8 Posts

June 12th, 2012 19:00

Thanks all for the reply. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

The bootstrap will be backup as long as the client is under the scheduled backup (Enabled group), so based on my above scenario, I assume that the sequence of backup flow will be as below:

1. Client A (first group) scheduled backup completed.

2. Networker will perform the Bootstrap backup.

3. Client B (second group) scheduled backup completed.

4. Networker will perform the Bootstrap backup.

Thanks.

Regards,

CS

268 Posts

June 12th, 2012 23:00

Hello Chin,

Here i will give you a example, it might help you understand better.

Lets consider NetWorker server name is "abc" (which has only one instance) and placed under group "xyz".

Scenario 1:

If this client instance for abc is placed under group xyz, which scheduled to start automatically every day(sheduled to run), then the bootstrap backup will happen only after xyz group completes. No bootstrap backup happens for other groups.

Scenario2:

If the abc is placed under group xyz, which is not scheduled (or set to skip) to start automatically every day. Then after every group completes bootstrap gets backed up.

Considering your scenario,

1. Client A (first group) scheduled backup completed.

2. Networker will perform the Bootstrap backup.

3. Client B (second group) scheduled backup completed.

4. Networker will perform the Bootstrap backup

This holds good, if the netwoker sever is not placed in scheduled group.

Regards,

Prajith

No Events found!