Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2014 02:00

Remote deployment of linux/unix client

Hello,

I am looking for infomration on how to deploy networker clients remotelyto a large number of clients?

An easy step-by-step win client deployment also neded.

Many thanks

Csaba

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 31st, 2014 03:00

What you can do is use nsrpush.  Normally, this requires some client to be already installed, but I assume your Windows/UNIX/Linux guys have baseline which includes backup client already.  If not, then it depends on those departments what tooling they use for remote deployment and they can use one of those to deploy NetWorker as well.  For example, we use HPSA for such things.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

March 31st, 2014 04:00

No, because in enterprise environments that would mean you must allow remote connection using admin rights and that's already big risk which as such gets rejected smoothly by security officers.  Therefore such option was never priority for engineering.  I can understand that in small shops or more relaxed environments this might not be the case.  As I said, check what distribution tool your admins are using - this is common thing for OS departments.  For example, Altiris is used in many Windows environments that I have seen.  On Linux, I'm quite sure admins have tool for remote management (dsh or whatever) and similar is for big UNIX boxes.

14 Posts

March 31st, 2014 04:00

In our situation we do not have networker client at all on the target hosts.

We need to consolidate a bunch of linux / win host to networker only backup from various other methods.

So what you are saying is that networker does not have remote deployment functionality eg. like Time Navigator has?

And so we need to find other tools to install networker client?

thx

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 10:00

Hi,

There is no facility within Networker to install the client SW initially, you can use nsrpush to upgrade existing clients but not install new ones. I have used a psexec script to install client on multiple windows hosts, this did require admin access to the hosts. The alternative is to use a deployment tool like bigfix or Acronis for example but most of these tools also require an agent installed.

DJ

No Events found!