Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 10:00

Restore of Block Based Backup need cifs server mount on DataDomain

Hello community

I have installed Block based Backup (BBB) with Networker Server Version 8.1.

Backup device is Datadomain with ddboost. When i start an restore i get the failure:

Unable to perform mount/umont request. Kindly configure CIFS share if you are using Data Domain device. (see attached picture).

I didn't find any documentation where it's described how to configure cifs server for restore.

Thanks for your help

1 Attachment

89 Posts

December 7th, 2014 00:00

This is BUG ID NW161560. Please refer to https://support.emc.com/kb/191646

11 Posts

February 24th, 2014 00:00

Hello

Use 8.1.1 !!

The 8.1 is e little bit stupid with Block restore.

Olaf

1.7K Posts

February 24th, 2014 02:00

Hello,

In the NW 8.1 Administration guide, if you check the Block Based backup and recovery, the FIRST thing you find is:

Preparing for block based backups

You must complete the following tasks before you perform a block based backup and

recovery:

1. “Creating a backup device” on page 624

2. “Creating a CIFS share for block based recoveries” on page 626 <========

3. “Configuring block based backups” on page 626

And if you actually move to page 626, you will find the step-by-step procedure to configure the CIFS, so yes, it is perfectly documented

Creating a CIFS share for block based recoveries

To recover data from either a Data Domain device or an AFTD, you must enable a CIFS share to access save sets on the device.

Creating a CIFS share on a Data Domain device

Complete the following steps to create a CIFS share on a Data Domain device and access the share from a client:

1. Open Data Domain Enterprise Manager.

2. In the left pane, under DD Network, select the Data Domain device.

3. Click Data Management.

4. Click CIFS.

5. Click Shares.

6. Click Create.

7. Complete the following steps in the Create Share dialog box:

a. In the Share Name field, specify the NetWorker server short name.

b. In the Directory Path field, specify the full pathname of the share folder that is available on the Data Domain device, in the following format:

/data/col1/NetWorker server short name

c. In the Clients field, add the IP addresses or the hostnames of the clients from which you want to access the CIFS share.

d. Click OK.

8. Access the CIFS share from the clients.

9. If you want to add more clients after creating a share, click Modify.

Creating an AFTD CIFS share

Complete the following steps to create a CIFS share on an AFTD on Windows:

1. Right-click the folder that you want to share, and click Share with > Specific people....

The File Sharing dialog box appears.

2. Select or add the people with whom who want to share the folder, and click Share.

The folder becomes shared.

The access credentials are the same as the administrator’s credentials on the host

Thank you,

Carlos

6 Posts

April 18th, 2014 10:00

I'm receiving the same message:

"Unable to perform mount/unmount request. Kindly configure cifs share if you are using data domain device"

I went through the process to set up the CIFS share on the Data Domain but I'm still getting the same message.  Is there anything else I need to do after creating the share?

April 22nd, 2014 02:00

Hello jmorgan48,

I was getting the same issue with 8.1

with 8.1.1.4 seem to be OK. Don't know really if it's related.

Cheers

Greg

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 05:00

I got it to work by going to devices, opening the device for the block based backups.  Under the general tab in the "Device Access Information" box change the data domain device from using the FQDN to the short name.  Apparently this is a bug and EMC knows about it.  It could possibly be resolved by upgrading to the newer version of Networker.

No Events found!