Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2008 03:00

Solution for Oracle DB BCV Backups???

Hi,

we are using an FSC EMCORA BCV Modul for big Oracle DB's. But it will be out of support this year. Is there anybody who has a solution for an automated BCV Backup and Restore process.

Bye Jens

14.3K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 12:00

PowerSnap module.

37 Posts

April 4th, 2008 02:00

Yeah,

but it is not as convenient as the FSC BCV Module is. There is no automatic Recovery over Disk or tape with a specified time.

Ciao Jens

14.3K Posts

April 4th, 2008 04:00

I'm not sure if I understand what that really is. If I had Oracle backups with PS I would still use RMAN script for restore where I would specify time for when I want restore to take place at.

14.3K Posts

April 4th, 2008 05:00

Why would you snaps (VDEV)? Use BCVs. I believe some symmetrix freaks would argue clones would be even better, but to make it independent of production you would need to have -precopy option enabled which I believe is going to be supported in 2.4SP1 (should be out next week). With BCVs you will not impact production.

37 Posts

April 4th, 2008 05:00

For a better understanding.

If you have a big Database and you don't want to bring much workload on the DB Server, we chose the FSC Produkt, because you could backup the BCV on another storage host and the Archive files would be backed up online, without interrupting the produktion.

If you are using RMAN its online backup and snaps are also not such a good decision for
backup solutions because they are also affecting the production.

In cause of a restore its very easy with the FSC tool. With RMAN and snaps, i think there is no tool who combines these 2 functions to 1.

Bye Jens
No Events found!