Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 26th, 2010 06:00

Support for Microsoft Cluster Shared Volumes

My Networker server and storage installation is a stand alone installation.  My questions are not about running the server in a cluster.  Only about having cluster components as clients.

I am in the process of building a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V cluster.  To take advantage of many of the new features in R2, implementing Cluster Shared Volumes is a requirement.  I would like to add the physical cluster nodes as clients on my Networker server.  I read in the release notes for 7.5.2 that Cluster Shared Volumes are not supported in that release.  However, it also makes note of the following fix.

Issue Number: NW112141
Severity: 3 - Low
Problem Summary: Detect if Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs) are configured on Windows 2008 R2

Additional Information

Product: NetWorker
Product Feature:
Configuration
Symptom: Detect if Cluster Shared Volumes (CSVs) are configured on Windows 2008 R2
Workaround or
Fix Summary:
Fixed in Code
Found in Version:
Fixed in Version:
Host OS Vendor:
Microsoft
Host OS:
Windows

I cannot find any reference to Cluster Shared Volumes in the documentation for 7.6 at all.  It says nothing about supported or not supported.

I have two questions:

1) Are Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) supported in 7.6?

2) What does "not supported" mean?  That it will not backup the CSV but the rest of the client will backup, that it wil not backup the client successfully, or that it will not install if CSVs are enabled?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 28th, 2010 17:00

The "fix" referenced makes NetWorker 7.5.2 detect the CSV volumes and output a message similar to "CSV is not supported" and move on to the next volume. The backup will complete with exceptions / errors but the non-CSV data should be backed up.

From the article below neither does Windows Server Backup support backups of CSV volumes:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958662

CSV's implement some I/O redirection techniques through a file system mini-filter driver (i.e. major code changes would be required to get NetWorker to back them up):

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/A/86A97515-8AF4-4CA6-B516-CDA1139B8D93/ENT-T793_en.pptx

If it's not specifically mentioned in the NetWorker 7.6 documentation then it's safe to assume that it's not supported.

I would suggest opening a service request with NetWorker Support team and submitting an RFE (Request For Enhancement) to have this added in a future release.

Hope this helps..

Gabriel

40 Posts

March 29th, 2010 12:00

Just what I needed to know.  This definitely helps, thanks!

The VMs are clients themselves at their OS level on the Networker server as well as being replicated at the SAN.  Support for the CSV is not an immediate need if the cluster node will still backup successfully.  It would be a nice feature in the future so I will submit the RFE. 

In the meantime, I'm hoping I will be able to configure a SKIP of the CSV volumes ("C:\ClusterStorage\*" or similar) on the client resource to alleviate the errors  in the backup report.

No Events found!