Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 14th, 2015 11:00

Synthetic Full Question in NetWorker

Hello All,

I have a question regarding Synthetic Full backups:

I do a Full backup on Sunday, then I do an Incremental on Monday, after this I do Level 5 on Wednesday and Synthetic Full on Thursday.

According to the definition of Synthetic Full: "A synthetic full backup is formed by combining a full backup and subsequent incremental backups."

In this case will it take the Full, then Incremental and leaving the level 5, or will it get all of them, Full, Incr, Level 5 to form the Synthetic Full? Or will it ignore the incremental and will only use the Full and Level 5?

Thank you!

2.4K Posts

October 15th, 2015 06:00

This is an unusal but a very good and a valid question. And honestly, I do not know the answer. I have never verified the behavior myself.

My personal guess is that a SF will not consider level (differential) backups. And that would in fact result in potential data loss. But NW in fact allows you to define such a mixed schedule.

However, keep in mind that you have choosen incrementals because you want to run the fastest backups. That's why you usually rely exclusively on incrementals as they are supposed to minimize the backup duration.

No Events found!