Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2012 04:00

VADP / Disable FLR "Yes" or "No"

Just wondering what is the exact differents between "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=No" and "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes"

I'm running some test with VADP so this is not a production inviroment.

description of the setup:

vsphere client 5.0

networker server 7.6.3. build 840

networker client 7.6.3 build 840

networker virtuel proxy 7.6.3 build 840

OS server 2008R2 on all servers

client disk size = 100GB thin provisioned

setup VADP saveset *FULL*

If I run a backup of a client with "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=No"

the backup only use  18GB backup disk space

I can do incr backup

filelevel restore

and image restore from full backups

but when I run the backup with "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes"

The backup use 102GB backup disk space

I cant use incr backup

file level restore is not possible

but yes I can do an image restore.

What am I missing? why would I ever use "VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes "?

Best regards

Tommy

89 Posts

February 26th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

VADP_DISABLE_FLR=No can do incr. level backup, and will backup the actual data only.. 18GB used out of 102GB total disk space.

VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes will do image level backup, and will backup the whole disk size of 102GB

Regards,

Mustafa

1.7K Posts

July 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi Tommy,

As per documentation:

If a virtual client is set up for image level backup and image level recovery (single step), setting this variable

to YES will disable file level recoveries from the image backup. This variable only takes effect if the virtual client’s backup saveset is specified as *FULL*, which indicates an image level backup, and the backup level is full (0) with no incremental backup levels selected.

VADP_DISABLE_FLR=Yes

Note: Setting this variable in the proxy application information and not specifying it at the virtual client level will disable file level recovery from all subsequent image backups done via the proxy

So yes, this variable disable the file level restore.

Thank you.

Carlos.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

July 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi Carlos

Yes I know it wil disable the filelevel restore, but why will it use 102GB in backup disk space?

If you choose No i get the filelevel recover option and it will only use 18GB of backup disk space.

So why would you choose "Yes" if it will use more disk space and will remove the possibillity to recover single files?

/Tommy

1.7K Posts

July 8th, 2012 22:00

Hi Tommy,

To be honest I don't know the answer for that. I can only think of less granularity level in the backup when disabling the file level restore and full image level.

Actually, have you seen this release note?:

Application information attributes for VADP backups should be added to all resources if multiple instances are created with the same proxy name

NW124883

If multiple instances are created with the same proxy name, then the application information attributes for the VADP backup should be added for all resources. For example, if Save Set ALL is created as the proxy and the proxy client has 3 instances (1 for ALLVMFS, 1 for FULLVM, and 1 with Save Set ALL), add VADP_DISABLE_FLR=YES in the application for each instance, then perform a full virtual machine backup.

Have you tried that or you have only one single client entry created?

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!