Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2013 04:00

VADP backups of powered off and DMZ VM's possible with NW?

Hi I'm in the midst of a NW implementation and things have been going pretty smooth but I've run into a issue with powered off and DMZ-connected VM's. Basically if NW can't resolve the servername of the client the New Client Wizard will fail and not create the client. And it fails for both powered off VM's and VM's it can't communicate with over the network. To be fair I haven't tried to copy an existing client and change the relevant values, maybe that will work?

So from a functional level should NW VADP be able to backup any VM where it has datastore access for that VM?

The transport mode i set to hotaddd|nbd.

rThanks.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 29th, 2013 05:00

Wizard will fails, but execuring snapshot based backup for offlined VM should be possible so try not to use wizard for offlined ones.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 4th, 2014 07:00

Hi Hrvoje.

I have a golden image on the Vcenter it is obviously powered down.

It does not have a host name but i do know the vm name.

Would i copy an existing vm backup with the same hostname and backupo that way could you point me to a document on this please?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 4th, 2014 10:00

Not sure I understand this... you wish to copy new backup or golden image one? And is the copy really copy or you wish to back it up?

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 4th, 2014 10:00

The golden image is what i would like to backup. I also have two vm's that are powered down that i need to backup. It has been a great project taking me out of the linux unix zone into windows and vmware Really appreciate the assistance you have always given.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 4th, 2014 11:00

If VMs are offline just backup their vmdks.  If they are online, install agent and do in-guest backup.  I believe in your case it is first case that applies.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

September 5th, 2014 03:00

Hi

I am still not sure on this. is there a special agent i need to install on the host box to see the datastores?

We do not have a vdap appliance.

we have networker with a vdap proxy where we setup legacy proxy devices and then proxy clients.

When i look at the networker and vmware integration guide it talks about a vdap appliance.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

September 5th, 2014 06:00

My understanding is that you wish to backup offline copies so therefore either install agent of ESX hosts or copy (or export) vmdk files somewhere and do backup.

No Events found!