Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 07:00

VBA checkpoint discovery and checkpoint backup fails

Hi,

after sucessfully deploying and configuring a couple of VBAs we did an DataCenter Failover Tests, meaning shutting down the ESXi Hosts without shutting down all VMs on these hosts. After that event one of the VBAs is showing a strange behaviour. All VMware Backup Policies for that VBA  are working fine, the Checkpoint_Discovery+Backup policy fails with the error message:

"Remote system error - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

Tried rebooting the VBA and the Networker server, did not solve the issue. Getting the same message, when i try to access the VBA client within the "Local Hosts" menu within the NMC and also via the cli on the server:

D:\nsr\res>nsradmin -p nsrexec -s

143820:nsradmin: Unable to establish RAP connection with : Remote system error - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

There does not appear to be a nsrexec server running on

What i noticed is, that there is no peer information for that vba (checked it with nsradmin -p nsrexec followed by p type:  nsr peer information"). Tried to "re-register" the VBA from the VBA Webgui, but still no success in getting the policy running again.

Does anyone else encountered that issue and hopefully has a solution without the need of redeploying the VBA.

Kind regards

Mario Weise

2.4K Posts

February 18th, 2016 08:00

Hi Mario,

on the VBA, there is also a NW client running. This obviously was configured (via /nsr/res/servers) to listen to a specific NW server. For whatever reason this entry is no longer valid.

I assume this can be done with step 6 from the EBR/VBA Appliance window where you enter the NW Server Registration Information.

2.4K Posts

February 18th, 2016 09:00

No, meant the 'logon screen' at the VBA console, not the GUI.

9 Posts

February 18th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

if you mean by appliance window "https:// :8453/ebr-configure" and there "NetWorker Configuration", i already tried that. I entered the VMuser password and clicked "save", since not other field is editable. A popup with "Successfully ..." came up and i rebooted the VBA after that. But still no luck with the communication or even the CP backups.

Regards

Mario

9 Posts

February 19th, 2016 00:00

The logon screen is just showing the Quickstart Guide, which is pointing to Webgui. The points 2-8 are all done with the initial setup after deploying the VBA and logging in to the webgui for the first time. I did all that and everything was fine, the VBA is registered to the server and i can configure policies for it etc.

Regards

Mario

9 Posts

February 19th, 2016 01:00

If you login to the console with root, you are just landing on the CLI, there is no option 6 you can choose of. These options are the steps you take, after login to the ebr-configure page mentiones in step 1. After clicking finish (step 8), these setup steps will never pop up again, you have to edit them manually. And that i tried via the web interface:

ebr-configure.PNG.png

Is there a CLI command to check the networker registration or even the peer information of the client (the VBA)?

2.4K Posts

February 19th, 2016 01:00

The message is definitively created by the NW client running on the machine.

At the moment I can just provide an old screenshot -look at step 6.

console.jpg

2.4K Posts

February 19th, 2016 02:00

You are right - I was misinterpreting that. Unfortunately, I do not have a VBA environment any longer to verify.

You may want to try the 'standard connection test command'

nsradmin -p nsrexec -s

However, I doubt that you will succeed - most likely the request will be rejected as well.

9 Posts

February 19th, 2016 05:00

You are correct, see my initial post where pasted the output of that exact command.

143820:nsradmin: Unable to establish RAP connection with : Remote system error - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

There does not appear to be a nsrexec server running on

November 23rd, 2016 18:00

Hi!

In the vba run "service networker start" and try to execute the policy again.

No Events found!