Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2015 08:00

VM with many RDM needs to be backed up

We have a customer who has a VM which is a Unisphere server (Windows 2008 R2) managing VMAX 20K.

This server has tiny 2MB disks attached to it (total 8). When inquired, I was told that these are gatekeeper devices they are used by unisphere and vmax for communication purposes. attached is report

RDM.jpg

Now, I have to backup this VM by using Networker image backup, but as these RDMs are connected as raw disks, I cannot do that.

Can I get rid of these RDMs by converting to vdisks, if not, what is the best strategy to backup this server.

Thanks

Harshal

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 1st, 2015 18:00

pRDMs in this instances are used for sending scsi commands to the array, they are not even formatted as far as windows/linux is concerned and can be safely excluded from backups.

35 Posts

July 1st, 2015 20:00

Thanks for your response dynamox.

How do I enable CE Unisphere for VMAX?

I am planning to take normal filesystem backup of this server, will this solve the purpose?

Which folders I should be including in the backup in regards to VMAX data/config information?

Sorry to bother you too much.

Regards

Harshal

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 2nd, 2015 06:00

you need to talk to your local EMC CE to enable Unisphere on the service processor.

Just perform your typical file system backup of the server, don't need to do anything special.

25 Posts

July 8th, 2015 10:00

One of the site I managed in the past, the management physical box was a HyperV with ESRS on 1 VM, Unisphere running on another VM.  I back them up with NMM 2.3.

For VMware, as mentioned by ChetanTikandar.  You cannot back it up using VADP / VBA.  You need to re-attach the GK devices after DR.  The box is Windows 2008?  You can use normal backup with saveset All for NetWorker and exclude the backup of the performance db directory.  Just make sure you have the NetWorker ISO image for Windows 2008 DR.

No Events found!