Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2015 13:00

VMware Backup rough througput

Hello all,

I realize this completely depends on ones environment, however I wanted to get an idea if in general, our numbers are bad.

These numbers are all for the same machine.

vmhost is ESXI 5.5

the lun is on a VNX5300

for VADP backups, the proxy is on the same lun and vmhost.

the backup destination is a DD620, at the same facility.

the full backup size is 16gb.

For a VADP hotadd FLR backup, it takes 2 hrs and 32 min to backup (2MB/s av)

for a traditional networker client installed on that VM it took 56 min. (5MB/s ave

for a non FLR VADP backup, it takes 13 min. (21MB/s ave)
there are no more than 3 VADP backups happening simultaneously, all of them share this slow performance, even if done individually on a test bases and at a completely different time of day.  the VADP proxy configuration is identical to one at a separate site, and that one has siginificantly better performance (10mbps for full FLR VADP backups).

I am trying desperately to figure out what my bottleneck is.... unless there is no bottleneck. are these expected numbers? if not, I welcome any educated guesses.

it seems like anytime the filesystem is examined the backup speed drops to totally unacceptable levels.

large file xfers (iso's) between virtual and physical systems, and the dd620's cif shares all show 40-50 MB/s speeds.

the VADP proxy is not taxed at all. it is barely using 10% cpu. has 2gb of ram free, and lots of free disk space. there is a disk cue lenth of under 1  for all drives on the system. the network usage is VERY low. 

Physical systems with traditional clients back up at 30-50MBps.

Thanks to anyone who can spare a thought.

January 11th, 2015 14:00

ok, here is something else interesting.

im backing up a vm to archive and decommission. its off. im doing an FLR VADP backup and getting 50+MB/s.

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

Are you using iScsi storage? What is the IOPS demand on the LUN/storage when backups are running and when

vm machine is off or on ?  I am asking this because i had strange issue with Iscsi storage and backups of vm machines

trough vm proxy. The backup were dead slow if iscsi luns were not connected to proxy server ( proxy server was also networker server). Connected mean: Iscsi initiator -> target -> connected, nothing else... From proxy server to every Vsphere lun.

January 13th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for the input/question.

the VADP proxy is a vmguest on a server connected via fiber to an EMC VNX5300. I enabled logging and we will see what we get.

again, I appreciate the direction and input.

3 Posts

January 14th, 2015 03:00

I suggest the VBA solution if you are running networker 8.1 or newer. We have excellent backup performance with this solution. Its block based forever incremental and using the VMware change block tracking.

The first backup save the complete virtual disk with good speed. We reach 150-200MB/s using FC SAN datastores and direct the backups to an 10GBit DDBoost device.

Subsequent backups are very fast and usually done in 30-60 seconds depending on the change rate of the virtual disk. Networker calculates the backup speed based on the full disk size and we get crazy numbers like 6GB/s or higher on subsequent backups.

I think you will get at least your usual 40-50MB/s for the intitial backup and also much faster backup times for all subsequent backups.

January 14th, 2015 04:00

the pre-reqs for the VBA seemed steep. 500gb, thats half a lun for us! ALso, correct me if i missed it in a changelong, but the VBA's backups cannot be cloned? We clone to tape for offistes. 

3 Posts

January 14th, 2015 05:00

You do not need 500gb if you direct all backups to ddboost devices. You can use thin provisioning for the VBA appliance and the result will be using around 50gb on the datastore. We assigned the 500gb VBA device to an special pool which is not used, so it stays empty.

VBA backups can be cloned to another ddboost device. Cloning to tapes is not officially supported iirc.

January 14th, 2015 10:00

Thanks. with the tape cloning, the VBA isn't something we can pursue. Im currently looking into our SAN's performance to see if there is something that was missed on a hardware level.

No Events found!