Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2011 14:00

Yet another Exchange2010 backup error in a DAG environment

Hi,

I have  two Exchange 2010 servers in a DAG environment.

On the first one I have 3 active and 3 passive databases. Those passives are actually replicated active databases from the second server.

On the second one I have also 3 active and 3 passive database. Those passives are actually replicated active database from the first server.

Exchange 2010 are with rollup 4.

Networker version is 7.6.2

NMM is the latest 2.3

I have created client resource for DAG client, lets say: dag.example.com

I have created client resources for Exchange clients with the following paramters:

1. Group option> Snapshot Policy > Serverless Backup  (BUT I do not have proxy server to take snapshots; snapshots are made on localhosts of Exchange servers)

2. Client option > Save Set > APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010\(3 active databases)

3. Client option > Backup command > nsrsnap_vss_save.exe

4. Client option > Application information >

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=active

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=dag.example.com

NSR_EXCH_RETAIN_SNAPSHOTS=no

NSR_ALT_PATH=C:\NMMSnapshot

Echange servers are also Storage nodes. Appropriate values are entered in Globals (2 of 2) > Storage nodes.

When I start backup group, everything is OK for the first exchange server, but on the second one I got an error:

nsrsnap: error, Retention failure, error encountered while deleting snapshots.

Please help in resolving this error. Please note that reinstalling NMM or restarting that Exchange server did not help in resolving this issue.

Thank you and best regards,

Zlatko

1 Message

December 16th, 2011 12:00

Error was actually found in Daemon.log since it was error recorded regarding the communication and since it was finding the incorrect server it was unable to run the nsrsnapck command to delete the snapshot since it just did not find it in the database. .All the best Zlatko..

December 12th, 2011 01:00

Well... strange... after the third restart of Windows and third NMM reinstall, backups are now OK... very strange!

Now, I have to figure out how to restore from those backups.

December 12th, 2011 02:00

Hello Zlatko,

I understand that the error message you are getting is coming from VSS, and not really from NMM.

I guess you have already some snapshots, and VSS is having issues in applying the snapshot policy, in fact having issues trying to delete old snapshots.

Please run the following command on the Exchange server:

vssadmin list shadows

and also

vssadmin list writers

The first command should return something like:

C:\>vssadmin list shadows

vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

No shadow copies present in the system.

If it shows any shadow (snapshot) then you will need to manually delete them, by running diskshadow commands as follows:

C:\>diskshadow

DISKSHADOW>delete shadows all

DISKSHADOW>exit

Let us know if that helps.

Thank you.

Carlos.

December 16th, 2011 00:00

No help with deleting snapshots.

14.3K Posts

December 16th, 2011 06:00

Actually, this error is coming from PowerSnap module and you may see it when another RAP deletion operation runs on server.  RAP deletetion operations are sequential and usually done on server and under control of nsrd.  However, with PowerSnap, this is trigerred by nsrsnapck on client which goes to server and it may clash with NSR deletion operation on server which is progress (like relabeling on tape or nsrim 24h check by server).

December 16th, 2011 12:00

SOLVED:

After EMC technician looks through a lot of logs and after removing/renaming C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\res\servers file on both Exchange servers, backups are running fine now. Both Fulls and Incrementals running fine with no problems.

Exchange01 and Exchange02 are storage nodes!

REASON:  GSS errors. Exchange01 server assumes that Exchange02 is NetWorker server, and since Exchange02 was not mentioned in "servers" file it just refused to start backups. The same was on Exchange02... it assumes that Exchange01 is NetWorker server. Errors were seen in C:\Program Files\Legato'\nsr\rmagentps\logs folder.

December 16th, 2011 13:00

Yes... right... I was confused with so much windows opened...

Thank you again.

No Events found!