Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2018 10:00

cross platform migration with nsrmmdbasm fails

Hi all,

I have a NetWorker Server (v9.2) running on SLES and the plan is to migrate to a Windows Server. 2016

I followed the procedure which is described in the cross platform migration guide.

I copied /nsr/res and /nsr/index to the new server. I created a dump file of /nsr/mm using nsrmmdbasm. I changed the hostname of the new Windows server to match the old machine and powered it off. After installing the NetWorker software on the target host, I copied res and index to it's location. But I cannot import the mmdb.dump with nsrmmdbasm (nsrmmdbasm -r -2 < mmdv.dump). I get an error message which states: "Program not registered".

When I try to run just nsrmmdbasm.exe from the command line, I get another error message: permission denied.

I don't know where this comes from. I'm an Administrator on the server and I check the permissions on the bin files and the mmdv.dump which look fine to me.

I checked DNS resolving, I can ping the server and connect to it by using the new name.

Can anyone help me? Any help appreciated.

P.S.: Can I use nsrdr for a cross platform migration?

Cheers,

beacon.

2.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 01:00

Is the NW Server up and running at all?

I assume that you have shutdown the NW server prior to copying the directories.

-  Did you start him later?

-  If so, did it start at all? (yet)

I am pretty sure that it will not be possible if you did not modify the resources.

I briefly looked through the document and from my first impression it is just incomplete in several areas. It seems to work if you migrate on the same platform family but not if you go beyond. Look at the general guideline I suggested some days ago

("Migrate Networker 8.2 on Solaris to RHEL").

nsrdr will most likely not work as this will recover the databases to the same directory/pathname which simply does not exist any more.

48 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 10:00

Hi bingo,

you are right. NetWorker did not start all the way. And I think I found the problem.

The old Linux NetWorker server has the name "networker.xxx.net" and the new Windows server "networker.yyy.net". That is because the old Linux machine is very old and in the meantime a new domain was created. The old domain does not exist anymore.

The daemon.log stated:

NetWorker is unable to continue its startup sequence due to a server hostname change to "networker.yyy.net"

I tried to edit the hosts file with the old name pointing to new IP of the new server but nothing helped.

My plan is now to rename the old NetWorker server on Linux with nsrclientfix to match the name of the new Windows server. And then perform the cross platform migration again.

Cheers

beacon

2.4K Posts

May 24th, 2018 06:00

Maybe you just need to run nsrclientfix to correct you hostname issue.

############

I just ran a very brief test myself - just copying the most important databases ( res & mmdb ) from Linux to Windows - and to my surprise, it worked.

Of course, there are some details which you need to care of (the device names for example).

-  no resource was rejected (and moved to /nsr/res/nsrdb/dbg)

-  instead, the Linux device name appeared in Windows

-  I could see all my save sets in my tiny media db

-  For a brief test,

-  I moved my file type device directory to a Windows directory

-  created the appropriate device

-  mounted the volume (this proves that the media db can resolve it)

-  and ran a save set recover.

Once again - I do not say the migration is easy. There are a lot of things to take care of.

But in general, I do not see a show-stopper (so far).

48 Posts

May 24th, 2018 12:00

Hi bingo,

that is what I did: Renamed the NetWorker server to match the new hostname.

After that the nsrmmdbasm command did run all the way through. But there were some things I had to fix afterwards. For example removing the lockbox of the old server or renaming the auditlog-hostname manually. Nothing mentioned about that in the guide.

I'm gonna try your way in the my lab. Seems way easier!

But thanks for the input!

Cheers,

beacon.

2.4K Posts

May 28th, 2018 04:00

Just for curiosity I verified that you can easliy migrate the media db from Windows to Linux.

Once again - you need to be very careful with resources. And there are other issues which will obviously not work unless you adopt resources etc.

But in general, I can see nothing that will really stop you from a cross-platform migration.

Don't make a mystery where such does not exist.

No Events found!