Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2010 03:00

module for Exchange and RSG Recovery

Hello

I try to use Networker Module for Exchange and perform RSG mailbox recovery:

1) I make MSEXCH:IS backup

2) Then I create RSG group using Exchange administration console.

3) Then using Networker User for Exchange Server, I recover selected storage group to RSG group by using "Recover -> Traditional". Works fine.

4) Then I try to use "Recover -> From Recovery Storage Group" option and I get screen with Private Mailboxes folder which is EMPTY. I cannot select anything because this is empty

Networker 7.4.4

Module for Exchange 5.1 SP3

Exchange 2007  SP2 with Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data  Objects package version 1.2.1

Does anyone have the same problem and found solution? Of course after recovery to RSG group there is possibility to recover data with exchange tools, but this is not what I want to do. I want to use Networker User for Exchange Server ("Recover -> From Recovery Storage Group" option).

202 Posts

March 8th, 2010 04:00

Hi!

There is a difference between the mailbox level backup/recovery and store level backup/recovery:

The store level recovery save set specification is:

1.MSEXH:IS

You can recover the whole store, but not the induvidual mailboxes.

The mailbox level recovery save set specification is:

MSEXCH:MB/%2FO=SAMPLE ORGANIZATION%2FOU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP%2FCN=RECIPIENTS%2FCN=TEST.USER1/

or:

MSEXCH:MB

You can recover induvidual mailboxes too.

I think your backup is working on the store level, and you dont see the mailboxes.

The Networker module for Exchange Administrator guide shows that the save set specification is:

MSEXCH:IS    it contains all storage groups, but does NOT include private mailboxes and public folders.

if you want to specify please add this lines:

MSEXCH:MB   (backup all private mailboxes)

MSEXCH:PF    (backup the public folders)

The Networker module for Exchange Administrator guide describes the save set notation. ( how to specify a single mail box, wildcards, etc)

I hope this helps.

Regards:

Paul

7 Posts

March 8th, 2010 12:00

Sorry, it wasn't very helpful because I know all of that. You didn't understand what I'm going to do. The idea is to recover mailbox from IS backup using RSG method which is surely possible. And more specifically what I'm curious, is why "Recover -> From Recovery Storage Group" option in Networker User for Exchange Server doesn't work. I suspect a bug. And I don't want workaround because I know workaround and it works great. All I want to know is if there is somebody who uses this option and if it is really working.

anyway, thanks for your help

2K Posts

March 9th, 2010 10:00

You would not see mailboxes here since you did not backup mailboxes using MSEXCH:MB. You should be able to see the Storage Group OR IS.

I would generally create RSG for a Storage Group and then recover Storage Group using Networker User for Exchange interface. This would recover the Storage Group to the RSG and then using Microsoft tools you can recover the mailboxes from RSG to the Exchange server.

If you want to recover mailboxes using Networker User interface, you need to take a mailbox level backup using MSEXCH:MB which needs some accounts and permissions detailed in the admin guide. Apart from that MB level backup is really painful and time consuming as it backs up individual mails and mailboxes.

The best way to recover mailboxes is to recover Storage Group in RSG and them mailboxes from RSG using Exchange tools.

7 Posts

March 9th, 2010 23:00

Once again, this is not answer to my question...

"You would not see mailboxes here since you did not backup mailboxes using MSEXCH:MB."
Not true.

"If you want to recover mailboxes using Networker User interface, you need to take a mailbox level backup using MSEXCH:MB ..."
Or you need to take IS level backup, then use RSG for recovery and then use "Recover -> From Recovery Storage Group" option in Networker User for  Exchange Server (according to Networker documentation). But it doesn't work. And this and only this, is what I'm asking about.

"The best way to recover mailboxes is to recover Storage Group in RSG and then mailboxes from RSG using Exchange tools."
Yes I know that. That's exactly what I do.

once again, thanks anyway ...

66 Posts

March 10th, 2010 13:00

cf13:

You can't use that option to restore because you didn't backup with the brick level method mentioned above.  Unless you use the msexch:mb it won't work.

Thanks

Paul

66 Posts

March 10th, 2010 14:00

I may have mispoke.  After reading further in what you are trying to do, it should be possible.

Apparently after the restore has completed and you have mounted the database, it appears you should be able to talk back to the RSG via the networker user for exchange interface. Which will allow you to recover data to a recovered items folder for specific mailboxes.

Since I have no experience with this I cannot answer why it isn't working for you.  I just tried to test the feature myself, and I am not even able to select the RSG as an option to restore from.

Sorry I can;t be of further help.

Thanks

Paul

7 Posts

March 10th, 2010 23:00

I think nobody has experience with this, because it simply doesn't work at all ;-)

I already gave up, since using recovery of Storage Group to RSG and  then mailboxes using Exchange tools works perfectly fine.

117 Posts

March 11th, 2010 03:00

What you are trying to do is one of the advantages of NM-E against MS tools to restore mailbox objects.

I only can confirm that this is working basically for I use it (rarely but I use it).

The key is the MS MAPI/CDO extension to be installed, what is done in your case.

However I had the experience that after installing version 1.2.1 I had strange problems and downloading the latest version from MS again and reinstalling that one solved some problems; really weird.

If I understand your problem description correctly the first step of restore, restoring mailbox database into RSG works propperly.

Further you are also able to launch the funktion "recover from RSG" in NM-E correctly and you get the tree-structure of your mailboxes listed. But the all the mailboxes appeare empty, with no objects in.

This should indicate also MAPI/CDO installation works propperly, otherwise you would not come that far.

I'm sorry, I don't have a glue what is going wrong now in your environment. I could only gues about permissions (send as/receive as probably) but cnnot offer real help. Probably you may think about openeing a support case.

7 Posts

March 15th, 2010 00:00

Thanks, it is good to know that this is really working. Thanks for the tips. Maybe someday I will try to fix this. As for now, my Exchange admin says that he is really happy using exchange tools as the last part of mailbox recovery and he is not interested with futher investigation. So, for me this thread is closed.

Thanks for help.

No Events found!