Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2013 06:00

networker 7.6 and netapp 2020

Hi, I'm Fred from france, and new in backup universe.

So, i use networker 7.6 sp2, and a new project has started, a Netapp storage has been installed in the computer rooms,

The backup server (with Networker) is connected by a lan and by a witch over fiberchanel, with 2 jukebox.

The netapp si only connected by the lan.

On this netapp, a wmware volume has been created, with storage type NAS

severals shares have been created, ( Home profils for windows users, public files, private folders, etc...)

I've inpected the configuration of the netapp, the fiber chanels are closes, and the fcp service is down.

Networker has not the ndmp license installed (and my chief didn't want to buy it).

So, what is the best practice to save the shares on the netapp with Networker ?

My idea was to create a lun on the netapp, mount the lun in the server as a D: drive.

but must i have to rebuild the volume in SAN mode between NAS ?

how to save the target ?

Sorry to ask this question, but i'm repeat that i'm very new

Thanks for the helps in advance

Fred

email : piechocinski@srd.colas.fr

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Hi Fred,

frederic.piechocinski wrote:

Hi, I'm Fred from france, and new in backup universe.

So, i use networker 7.6 sp2, and a new project has started, a Netapp storage has been installed in the computer rooms,

The backup server (with Networker) is connected by a lan and by a witch over fiberchanel, with 2 jukebox.

The netapp si only connected by the lan.

On this netapp, a wmware volume has been created, with storage type NAS

severals shares have been created, ( Home profils for windows users, public files, private folders, etc...)

I've inpected the configuration of the netapp, the fiber chanels are closes, and the fcp service is down.

Networker has not the ndmp license installed (and my chief didn't want to buy it).

So you have the CIFS/NFS share mounted on your ESX which has the datastore created on it? The best way to the would be as NDMP.

So, what is the best practice to save the shares on the netapp with Networker ?

The best practice for backing up a NAS device is using NDMP. But incase you do not want to invest on a NDMP license then you can mount the respective share on the backup server (I am assuming it is a windows machine) and backup it up.

My idea was to create a lun on the netapp, mount the lun in the server as a D: drive.

but must i have to rebuild the volume in SAN mode between NAS ?

how to save the target ?

How would this help in backing up the volume with the CIFS share on it ? are you planning on mounting the same vol as a LUN ?

Sorry to ask this question, but i'm repeat that i'm very new

Thanks for the helps in advance

Fred

email : piechocinski@srd.colas.fr

14.3K Posts

You should use NDMP backup for those shares using DSA.  You should also plan NSR update as right now you use very old release.

February 6th, 2014 02:00

Hi, thanks for all your informations.

I have found the solutions.

In first, the server and the netapp are not in the same domain, so i 've created a local account in the server with the same name and password such as the account on the netapp.

A] Accessing the CIFS share

In networker, i've created the client with \\IP_Adress\share of the netapp, and add the user/password in Access with the command save -xL

Trying it to save = Ok

16 GB in 00:38:16   9257 files

B] By lounting a lun

In netapp, i 've :

created a volume with SAN method,

created the windows Lun

define the initiator of the server

In the windows 2003 server, a new disk appears

Initialising it, formatting in NTFS, with D drive

Copying the 16 GB (9257 files) from the cifs

Preparing networker fo saving this new disk

Trying it to save = Ok

16 GB in 00:04:51   9260 files 

So, next steps are

migrate the networker 7.6 sp2 to 8.1

migrate the OS from windows 2003 standard edition to windows 2008 r2

eventually migrate the server (hardware) if necessary ????

Fujitsu Siemens   primergy BX360

with 2 dual opteron 275 (freq = 2200 Mhz to 3600 Mhz max) with 2Gb ram

This server is still ok with the new environment ? or did we have to migrate the hardware too ??

independently our central computer recommands us to migrate our servers to Dell poweredge r720; did you have a recommandation for the fiber card ?

14.3K Posts

February 6th, 2014 04:00

When migrating to NW, there is document which lists which minimum sizing is expected in respect to memory and some CPUs - please evaluate it and check if this applies to your existing environment. Direct LUN vs CIFS - this is no rocket science - LUN will always be faster.

14.3K Posts

February 6th, 2014 06:00

1. log to support.emc.com

2. in search put NetWorker Performance Optimization Planning Guide

And you should see it. (note, at this very moment support site is stating not to be available, but I might be hitting wrong gateway in Europe)

Did you have a link ?

Well done

i have found the same doc in french, and it is perfect.

Thanks again

No Events found!