Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2018 05:00

networker 9.1 - workflow 'skip' run

Hi,

We were using client schedule override (savegroup setting) in NW 8.x for non-daily backups.

Setting this override eg. for weekly backups is very useful, because this way in NMC the failed savegroup run will remain in failed status. If this option is not set the 'skip run' will turn the "red cross" into "green tick" on the next day on monitoring screen.

Unfortunatelly I can't find a way to achieve the same results in NW 9.1.

Is there any way to set something like this?

Thank you in advance,

Istvan

2.4K Posts

January 10th, 2018 06:00

I do not understand what you want to achieve. And this is probably true for most of the readers.

In NW 8.x within the savegroup properties you have the possibility to override the client schedule.

However, the backup result should be the same, no matter which schedule you use.

But you obviously want to achieve a 'failed' result for whatever reason. This seems to be weird as normally an admin's intention is to have as few error as possible.

So first we need to understand why a failed workflow would be beneficial for you at all ...

116 Posts

January 10th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion...

Eg.: I have a savegroup with some clients with the following schedule:

(same for every client), set in the client definition: Full on friday, skip

other days. When something goes wrong (eg.: 1 client is not reachable) the

savegroup fails in the evening then you can see it in NMC on saturday. But

once the savegroup is started again (max interval=24h), the savegroup will

get its green tick in NMC for the successful skip run!

It’s clear that there are many alerting possibilites etc., but I really

like to see the “real” status in NMC. If you set the same schedule as a

savegroup property it won’t do that skip run, it will start - and update

its status only on the next friday (in our example).

It is useful if you need to check many systems on a monday..the alert will

be in front of you until the problem is really fixed...

Do you see my problem now?

bingo (időpont: 2018. jan. 10., Sze, 15:55)

ezt írta:

DECN

networker 9.1 - workflow 'skip' run

reply from bingo

in

NetWorker - View the full discussion

116 Posts

January 10th, 2018 23:00

Hi,

Here are the messages from daemon.log (using 24h interval):

savegroup start, where we don't have schedule override:

nsrd NSR info Savegroup Info: Starting the group 'xxx', which has 8 clients.

savegroup with override:

nsrd NSR info Savegroup Info: Skipped starting the group 'xxx'.

40 Posts

January 11th, 2018 00:00

Hello Istvan,

If I understand you well you would like "Skip" level action to not change status of Workflow and Policy in NMC as it used to work for older version. And when you have a look at NMC Monitoring tab on Monday you want instantly see if the backup was successful or not on Friday and the failure to be preserved until resolution.

I am not sure what is the status for the moment if this is working as expected for NetWorker 9 because some design reasons like:

Level "Skip" is a valid level, a successful Skip is a valid outcome , a successful operation and a true reflection of the last Workflow execution, "doing nothing" is actually yes doing something...  "we are doing the Skip"

OR

It is a bug at NMC reporting wrong status for Skip level and you need to reach engineering through a formal service request and escalation.

There are two Request For Enhancement (RFE) opened for this, product management response was : "seems to be a bug as NMC reporting wrong status"

For now I can see you have two options:

- Work this through a formal service request with DellEMC support trying to get engineering involved and loot at it.

- Work with your presales/account manager to check the latest status of RFE with product management.

Hope that helps

Liliana

116 Posts

January 11th, 2018 03:00

Hello Liliana,

You see exactly what my problem is.

I believe it's the question of design and if it's so, then I guess it won't change in the near future .

I agree with your statement regarding 'Skip' level: it's OK that it is a valid operation, but luckily there was a "workaround" in NW8 (the override, which caused that the savegroup execution was skipped).

In NW9 the solution would be more complicated, because we have 4 (nested) statuses: Policy->Workflow->Action->Client. Perhaps the Action should preserve its status in NMC until it is really started.

According to the logs the Action is not started in case of a skip schedule, but the Workflow status is always updated.

I think NMC is working as designed, but unfortunately it is really not user friendly.

I'm wondering why other admins are not pushing EMC harder to do something with that.

Here is a screenshot about the "issue":

nw9scr.JPG.jpg

Best regards,

Istvan

116 Posts

January 11th, 2018 04:00

Hi Liliana,

Thanks for your support, I'll open an SR now.

Best regards,

40 Posts

Hi Istvan,

Just to set expectations, you might need to be prepared...  it might take some time to follow troubleshooting or review and internal support escalations workflow, especially when a design or working as expected is suspected...  but hopefully it will reach engineering to get a clear statement.

If I'll find something new regarding will let you know

Kind Regards,

Liliana

40 Posts

Hi Istvan,

Apparently looks like a design decision on new NetWorker 9 concept, however checking the Request For Enhancement (RFE ) status seems Product Management recommended for a formal Service Request via Support and so an escalation can reach engineering to have a look at it. Some other customers requested the same and DellEMC System Engineers already raised the flag.

You can be the one that can trigger this investigation and open a formal service request, that way other backup admins can benefit and get an official answer either design or bug .

For the moment yes, looks like you cannot change that much. Well... you have the option of DPA , but I can understand where this request is coming from.

Kind Regards,

Liliana

116 Posts

January 29th, 2018 23:00

Dear Liliana,

Can you please help me with the Service Request? How can I escalate efficiently the ticket to someone who can really support me? The support told me that I have to disable autostart and run all of my non-daily backups manually...

. Well.. no comments.

Kind regards,

Istvan

40 Posts

February 13th, 2018 06:00

Hi Istvan,

I cannot promise anything, but let me know the SR# so I can review and see if there is something I can help here.

Kind Regards

Liliana

116 Posts

February 14th, 2018 00:00

Hi,

I think I was able to clarify the situation, now I'm waiting for further response..

The SR# is: 09823727

116 Posts

February 20th, 2018 03:00

Dear Liliana,

After a long time and hard working the final solution by the support is: I should raise an RFE .

So absolutely no luck with the support team...

40 Posts

February 21st, 2018 03:00

Hi Istvan,

I believe there is no need for a new RFE as there are two already opened.

Will take this with you offline , will be in touch next week, as I contacted someone from NetWorker product management regarding the RFE status or any advice. Based on that we will decide on progress.

Kind Regards,

Liliana

August 2nd, 2018 06:00

Any news on this?

//Patric

116 Posts

August 2nd, 2018 22:00

RFE was raised and/or updated. I don't expect that it will be fixed soon..

No Events found!