Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2016 02:00

networker integrated with Datadomain space optimization

Hi All,

In our environment we have  networker 8.2 integerated with Datadomain .

The space utilization  of DD is getting almost full every couple of weeks. We have to run cleaning and space reclamation from DD end and same time nsrim on networker.

In our environment we have  filesystem ,SQL,Oracle with client direct option moving data directly to DD.

My query is :

1. Is there way whether i can verify that my client direct is working efficently, as it say dedup happens on client end only.

2. If dedup  not happening on client direct , does the  dedup happens on data domain end.

Regards,

Vish

14.3K Posts

April 13th, 2016 05:00

1) Yes.  You can use mminfo to see what was original size and what is de-duped size.  Forget about de-dupe happening on client - this part has nothing to do with your space utilization.

2) Yes.

April 13th, 2016 19:00

Hi ,

Can you please let me know mminfo  syntax, it will be very helpful for us to determine whether our client direct is efficiently happening.

->Is there way I can find Data domain:

1. Which mtree or client data is consuming more space..

2. identify unwanted data present in DD and remove it from DD.

Regards,

Vish

14.3K Posts

April 14th, 2016 10:00

For mtree, use mtree command on DD.  Each mtree by default is one backup server and you can see total stats with mtree list.  mtree show compression will give you some more details.

If you want data how much each client does, you can use mminfo.  See DataDomain Dedup information in mminfo.

As for unwanted data, that's a bit ambiguous.  Data you have on DD is data that is needed by backup application.  So, if data application has this data marked as needed/retained, then it has to be on DD.  Now, DD does by default cleanup once per week so in theory you much have some data there old at maximum 6 days that may be remove.  Rough estimate you can see on DD by running df command and you will see how much of it is under Cleanable GiB column.

No Events found!