Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2007 11:00

number of client connections to networker server exceeded

How do I find out how many clients are allowed for backup to a networker server. I have one server that does not backup and I get message that number of client connections maximum is 125. Is this 125 is for concurrent # of backups should not exceed 125? or is this 125 is total # of clients provisioned on networker
server for backups.?

I need to find out what is the current active clients on the networker server and who they are.

Thank you all for your replies.

Ra Jose

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 7th, 2007 13:00

This is 125 clients defined on server (not instances!). You can run nsrlic -v to get more info.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 8th, 2007 11:00

RaJos,

Are you telling me you do not have nsrlic on backup server ? Try find / -name nsrlic -print

As to what it means, Anuj have said that. In some versions you get license count in daemon.log after server has been started as well.

2K Posts

This means you have the licenses to backup 125 unique clients i.e. hosts.

You can check this by making a count of your client connection licenses. If the base enabler is workgroup/network edition, you have 10 clients+you would have Networker Client Connection/5 type licenses. The /5 would mean 5 clients which now totals to 15. Similarly, you would have /25, /50 & /100 type licenses so you total them and find how many you have in total.

8 Posts

I cannot find nsrlic command in /opt/networker/bin
When I go into nwadmin GUI, under client setup, If I count uniq names,
I get a count of over 250. Licenses are only for 125. I do not understand
what this 125 means? can anyone explain.

Thank you all for your replies.

Ra Jos

76 Posts

May 8th, 2007 12:00

ops, I forgot, nsrlic is in /opt/networker/sbin.

76 Posts

May 8th, 2007 12:00

You need count the hostnames you can have 10 clients with the same hostname but this 10 client will allocate only 1 license.

8 Posts

May 9th, 2007 06:00

Thank you Anuj, Anderson, Hrvjoe.

Per Anuj, I checked licenses from nsradmin CLI. It shows 125 which is good.
Also, the nwadmin GUI shows 125 licenses, which is also good.

Our networker (backup) server is a windows server for which I have no knowledge.

There are Unix/Linux/Windows clients that backup to this windows backup server.

I do have admin rights, so I was trying to find out from a Unix client that has only
networker client libraries installed. That is why I can't find nsrlic which is probably
in server binaries.

I have networker PC client also.

What I am looking for is, what this 125 means. For the above discussion, I believe
that this means total number of clients configured for backup. If this is so,
when I go to client setup in nwadmin GUI, I see over 250 unique clients. Note that
multiple clients can have same host name. So I took all of this client list,
found out hostname and uniqued them. I get a count of over 250. That is why
I was puzzled what this 125 means. This problem arose as one of our unix client is
not backing up. Daily I am getting messages that max number of licenses =125 exceeded.

Any thought on how to validate this 125 with tools that I have from networker client library (unix host).

Thank you all.

Ra Jos

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

May 9th, 2007 06:00

You can do that with nsrlic if you have correct permissions set on server (which you probably don't) - my advice is to connect to server and run nsrlic -v.

As to what it is this has been already said, but more graphically:
# uname -a
clientA

# uname -a
clientB

In NW I have:
clientA - saveset All
clientA - saveset RMAN
clientB - saveset All
clientB - saveset EXCH

So, I have 4 instances and 2 clients defined. That would take 2 licenses. Licenses are used for clients defined - no matter if they are in group or not. (so if you had dumped all client definitions with nsradmin and did run sort -u against the list you would get number of clients required to be licensed). I hope this helps. If not you may wish to engage your support.
No Events found!