Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2017 13:00

5548 Remove Switch from Stack

I have a 3 switch stack of 5548's. My needs have changed and no long need the third switch in the stack, so I wanted to remove it. 

I removed spanning-tree on all the ports on switch 3. Then I moved around the HDMI interconnect cables so that only switch 1 and switch 2 are interconnected. The web interface no longer shows the ports from switch 3 (Good), but the console shows the configuration for the switch 3 port when I do "show run" or "show startup"(Bad). More importantly, the console stalls when I do "show interfaces status" as it walks through the ports and gets to what was switch 3.

How do I remove all the switch 3 interfaces from the config?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 30th, 2017 15:00

It sounds like the stack needs to be reloaded. During startup the switch will go through and detect the stack members. You could try to issue the command to reload just stack member 3, and since it is not present, it may remove it from the config.

# reload slot 3

If you schedule a time to reload the entire stack, that would provide an opportune time to check the firmware.

http://dell.to/2vG2LeI

4 Posts

August 30th, 2017 16:00

Tried reload:

stack22# reload slot 3
Unit does not exist over the stack!

The firmware was a little old (4.1.0.16), so I did update it. But that did not help.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2017 07:00

The firmware update requires that the stack is reloaded, and even after the entire stack was reloaded, switch 3 configuration was still present? Are any interfaces of switch 3 part of a LAG with the other switches? Have you tried clearing the config lines using "no" in front of the switch 3 configuration?

4 Posts

August 31st, 2017 08:00

I know it sounds odd, but the ports are still in the running and startup config after a reload:

stack22# terminal datadump 

stack22# show run

interface gigabitethernet3/0/1

switchport access vlan none

!

interface gigabitethernet3/0/2

!

interface gigabitethernet3/0/3

!

Only the second TenGigabit interface is missing (we never configured it).

I have cleared all the descriptions and configs from those ports. I can't figure out how to remove the "switchport access vlan none" - might that be why those ports won't disappear?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2017 09:00

Let's try to manually get rid of those lines. Can you try the following.

# interface gigabitethernet3/0/3

# no switchport access vlan

4 Posts

August 31st, 2017 09:00

That was actually on of the first things I tried. But that was before I cleared out all the other configs and several reloads ago...

stack22# conf

stack22(config)# interface tengigabitethernet 3/0/1

stack22(config-if)# no switchport access vlan

stack22(config-if)# exit

stack22(config)# exit

stack22# show run interface tengigabitethernet 3/0/1

interface tengigabitethernet3/0/1

!

stack22# conf

stack22(config)# interface gigabitethernet 3/0/3

stack22(config-if)# no switchport access vlan

stack22(config-if)# exit

stack22(config)# exit

stack22# show run interface gigabitethernet 3/0/3

interface gigabitethernet3/0/3

!

Thanks for your help so far!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 31st, 2017 12:00

That is interesting behavior. Let me do some more digging to see what I can find.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 5th, 2017 12:00

Unfortunately I have not been able to find anything. Some other model switches have the following command.

• console(config)#stack
  • console(config-stack)#no member X

But I do not see this as an option for the 5500 series.

One thing you might try, is exporting the current config, then manually edit the config to remove all switch 3 lines. Once that is done then copy it to the running config. If all looks well with the command show run, then copy the run to the start.

If that does not work, then you may have to look at resetting the switches and creating the stack again.

No Events found!