Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 22nd, 2018 09:00

Dell PowerConnect 2848 Help

Hello,

I am new to networking in general and I am trying to Web UI into a Dell Power Connect 2848 switch. The issue is I do not know the IP address of this device. I know where it is physically, but plugging into the back of it is next to impossible (It is in a small network closet and the back of the device is against the back of the closet wall). Furthermore, I am not sure how to console into the device. I am using a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 and using a USB-C to RJ45 adapter. What I am thinking I need to do is plug the other end of the serial cable into the device, then plug the adapter USB-C portion into my laptop which I have done. From that point, I am using Putty, and trying to connect via serial since I am do not know the device IP. 

I have read about needing to possibly modify serial settings, and so far I have speed @ 9600, data bits @ 8, Stop bits @ 1, Parity @ none, and flow control @ none.

Are these the right settings? What else can I do to get connected into this device to pull the IP address so I can web interface into it?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

Not a physical reset button, but the web config when it asks you to reboot. Go ahead and reboot it from there, and once the switch comes back up you should have access.

41 Posts

August 22nd, 2018 13:00

Hi Daniel, I have a DB9 cable (Serial to RJ45) that came with the switch I am using. It is a blue cable with a serial connector at one end, and ethernet on the other end. This is then plugged into an RJ45 to USB-c adapter I plug into my laptop. 

Does that sound correct? Are the settings I put into putty correct? 

Also, this switches IP address was changed to something on our 192.168.125.xxx network, but it is not coming up in the network scan Using advanced IP scanner. Would this be a result of it being in secure/un-managed mode?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2018 13:00

The switch usea a DB9 console cable (Null modem cable, Dell Part# PD378).

The getting started guide details the process of making a console connection on page 13: https://dell.to/2wivCad

Usually, when I see things not working, it is because of an incompatible cable is being used.

If the unit never had it's default IP address changed, then you might try accessing it through: 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 07:00

Those settings look fine for putty. If the switch is not in managed mode, then you will not be able to connect to HTTP. 

The original cable was a DB-9 to DB-9 cable. I am not sure if the cable you have will work. Here is a KB article detailing the different cables and their pinouts.

https://dell.to/2MJqh68

41 Posts

August 24th, 2018 09:00

Daniel,

I went to the switch, using a paper clip, I pushed in the mode button until I saw the managed light turn Solid green. Based on what you said, this will allow me to manage it via HTTP, but I don't have the IP address of the switch. I am trying to get it. I perform a network scan and the IP address does not show up. It does for my other Dell switches (5548, x1052), but the 2848 will not. What am I missing?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2018 11:00

If you can get that console connection and get the running config, it would provide some insight and troubleshooting guidance. Without access to the switch, it becomes a guessing game.

Do you have a backup of the config by chance?

41 Posts

August 27th, 2018 06:00

Daniel,

I managed to get into the switch's web GUI. I had to take a laptop out, plug an Ethernet cable into it, assign my laptop a static IP address on the switch's network which was 192.168.2.xxx. This is why I was not able to find it in my scan on our regular network. Based on it being a 192.168.2.1 IP address, I assume it was never configured? I changed the mode to managed mode (LED is lit solid green), and the switch is functioning. 

The issue I have now is when I navigate to 192.168.2.1, I sign in with admin and no password which is the defult, and after signing in it brings up a page that discusses Restore saved configuration. 

If I check the box "Restore Saved Configuration", it allows me to enter a server IP address and a file name, but I don't know what it is asking for exactly. The "Use Saved IP" is set to 192.168.2.1, and is bubbled, and "User Saved User Name/Password" is bubbled in. I cannot get to the screen that actually lets me view the switch OMSA properties such as System, Switch, Statistics/RMON, QoS etc. 

How can I get past this "Restore Saved Configuration" screen? Screen shot is below. Saved Config Screen.PNG

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2018 07:00

Great to hear about the progress you have made. You should just be able to click on apply changes, without selecting to restore a config. I think doing this may cause a reset of the switch, if so, it will prompt you to confirm. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2018 08:00

I agree with your assessment. Just to confirm, are you able to click apply changes without check marking restore config?

Another management option would be telnet, I believe it is enabled by default. Can you test a telnet connection?

41 Posts

August 27th, 2018 08:00

Daniel,

After the reboot, the switch is still in managed mode, but when I navigate to 192.168.2.1 and type in the username, it takes me right back to the Restore saved configuration page. I am trying to get into the switch options that allow me to allocate it a valid IP on our network, instead of its default 192.168.2.xxx IP. 

I don't have a saved configuration file stored anywhere (I did not initially set up this switch), but from what I can tell, whoever did set it up, just took the switch out without configuration and plugged it in. 

Can you provide more insight? Thank you. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2018 10:00

Are you able to schedule a time to click ok on the reset button and let the switch reboot itself? Once that is done it should let you log in.

41 Posts

August 27th, 2018 10:00

Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. I am able to click apply changes without restore saved configuration check. It then gives me a confirm box saying The device will reset. 

Regarding Telnet, I am using Putty, and I can Telnet to the device, however when I do that it gives me 4 options upon opening a session. It says Unknown parameter May be one from the following list:

debug                 help                      logout                     mcliTelnet Console Screen.PNG

I am not sure what to do at this screen. 

41 Posts

August 29th, 2018 06:00

Daniel,

The reset button on the switch? I did not see an actual reset button on the front of the switch. Do you mean apply the settings in web config to reboot? FYI, the settings in the web config are just the default 192.168.2.1. I am trying to get past the restore auto config screen. 

41 Posts

August 29th, 2018 08:00

Daniel,

Thanks for all your help. I will try that after hours since it is a production switch and let you know. 

41 Posts

August 29th, 2018 10:00

Daniel,

Thanks again for all the help. I now have a proper IP address, time set, default username and pw changed on the switch. I can telnet and web interface into it successfully. Once again appreciate the help. 

No Events found!