Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2018 18:00

Dell Switch Support S3048 syslog support

Hello there!

I'm struggling to receive support for a new switch that we've installed for a customer and can't find exactly where to receive such support. Will post on here for now. Phone support would also be much appreciated!

My query is regarding the location of the syslog on Dell S3048-ON switch. I have searched through the entire switch but cannot find the default location of the syslog. Also was not written anywhere in the UG available for S-3048 switch. Without an external syslog server, will this by default be saved somewhere on the switch? If so, could you tell me the exact location that this is saved in?

My second query is in relation to the first query, however what happens when the syslog file becomes full? (I found a Zabbix alarm related to SEL full, not sure if this alarm is related to our switch). Depends on the answer to the first question but if syslog is by default not saved anywhere, my assumption is that new entries will simply overwrite old entries when syslog file becomes full. However in the case of it being saved somewhere will newer entries overwrite old entries or will syslog simply stop being taken?

Many thanks in advance!

Simon

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 11th, 2018 06:00

I tend to just issue the command show logging, to view the log file. The switch has a set amount of buffer space that is used for the log messages. Once the logging buffer is full, new messages will start to override the oldest messages. If you need logging capacity beyond this buffer, it is recommended to configure a syslog server.

Here is a KB article on configuring logging: https://dell.to/2ujuPVq

You can enter the service tag for the switch into the Dell site: https://dell.to/2KPLjzI and it will provide you with all of the different methods of contacting support. If you would rather just call directly in, here the number to call:180016010060

August 5th, 2018 23:00

Thanks for your response Daniel.

I was of course aware that I could view the log file with show logging, however was more interested in knowing if it was actually saved as a physical file somewhere on the switch itself. Regardless, I ended up configuring to a syslog server so all solved there.

I tried the service tag method prior to writing this post, however because this was purchased through our European team, all the support options were in Dutch! Never mind~~

Cheers again,

Simon

No Events found!