Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

September 7th, 2018 08:00

Gracefully power off Dell Switch

Does anyone know how I can gracefully shut down/power off a Dell Switch S4048-ON? It would be great if there is any cli cmd we could use for that purpose. 

I didn't find anything useful from the manual

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Same question for another switch S5148f-ON.

Thanks.

• 

8.5K Posts

September 10th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

I do not see any command for this, is there a reason why you want the graceful shutdown?

29 Posts

December 28th, 2018 04:00

Reason is very simple. I configure dell switch on my desk and i must move them to server room, and to do so i must power off the switch. Yes i can simply pull out power cord, but i prefer perform graceful shutdown first

1 Message

January 5th, 2019 18:00

I have the same question, couldn't find a answer anywhere.

212 Posts

January 15th, 2019 06:00

There is no graceful shutdown option on any switches I've seen lately. Since there are no spinning drives or data that needs to get written back to the local system, switches are extremely tolerant to power outages. The one thing you will want to do is make sure you have your configuration saved to the startup-configuration before pulling the plug. I would perform another "copy run start" just for good measure before removing power. If you want to be even more cautious, it is always good to backup your configuration to a remote drive (tftp, usb, etc.).  Hope this helps.

January 20th, 2022 11:00

Old post, I know, but I figure I can answer the question for future google-fu.

First, Login as linuxadmin.

sudo -i

shutdown -P

This is how I do it.

I assume sudo shutdown -P may work as well.

It does boot up automatically, so watch it to shut it off when the os is not loaded.

3 Apprentice

• 

73 Posts

February 16th, 2022 01:00

Yes you can gracefully shutdown a Dell switch running OS10 via Linux shell but it will not result in a clean shutdown!
Please avoid doing this in a production environment as it can result in traffic disruption because Linux does not know about the networking services running.
Removing power from a switch is preferred as it will immediately stop any traffic processing.

February 17th, 2022 07:00

On any of the switches I've seen recently, there is no graceful shutdown option. Switches are particularly resilient to power outages since they don't have any spinning discs or data that has to be written back to the local system. Before you pull the plug, ensure sure you've saved your configuration to the startup-configuration folder. Before turning off the power, I'd do another "copy run start" just to be safe. It's always a good idea to back up your setup to a remote disc if you want to be extra careful (tftp, usb, etc.). I hope this information is useful. You were unable to locate your answer. Find From other websites, such as , Abdulsguide , wiki, techraddar. etc.

February 28th, 2022 06:00

There is no graceful shutdown option on any of the switches I've seen recently. Because they don't have any spinning discs or data that needs to be written back to the local system, switches are particularly resistant to power outages. Make sure you've saved your configuration to the startup-configuration folder before you pull the plug. Just to be cautious, I'd execute another "copy run start" before shutting off the power. If you want to be extra cautious, it's always a good idea to back up your system on a remote disc (tftp, usb, etc.). I hope you find this information helpful. You couldn't find the solution to your question. Find From other sources like abdulsguide , wiki, techraddar, and others.

March 23rd, 2022 00:00

There is no graceful shutdown option on any of the switches I've seen recently. Because they don't have any spinning discs or data that has to be written back to the local system, switches are particularly resistant to power outages. Make sure you've saved your configuration to the startup-configuration folder before you pull the plug. Just to be cautious, I'd execute another "copy run start" before shutting off the power. If you want to be extra cautious, it's always a good idea to back up your system on a remote disc (tftp, usb, etc.). I hope you find this information helpful. You couldn't find the solution to your question. Find From other sources like Abdulsguide, wiki, techraddar, and others.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2023 12:00

Juniper switches have had graceful power-off and restart commands since Junos was created, with the command 

request system {reboot|power-off}

and can be told to do so at specific times with a YYMMDDhhmm argument thus - 

request system reboot at 2303310400 

to reboot the switch at 04:00 on the 31st of March 2023. It's extremely useful for scheduling restarts and firmware upgrades. 

No Events found!