Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 27th, 2014 02:00

How to make a trunk port on Dell PowerConnect 2848

Hi there!
i want to know how to make a port of dell switch powerconnect 2848 as trunk.
i've seen the user-guide manual, but this is not specified.
There is some information regaring lag...but i don't see where is specified, and how to be sure that a port is in trunking mode.

Also...how to put a port in a vlan, what Letter i've to choose for it:
T
U
F
Blank???

Regards!

1 Rookie

• 

75 Posts

May 27th, 2014 08:00

i know how to add vlans...and to add port to these vlan.

I'm not clear how to make a port (gigabit13 for example) working in trunk mode.

That is

• 

8.7K Posts

May 27th, 2014 08:00

Hi Lasandrolopez,

For VLANs that you want tagged you want to use the T setting, which is for tagged. To add VLANs to a port.

In the left navigation menu, click the plus sign to expand Switch, VLAN, and then click VLAN Membership. To add a VLAN to the switch, click Add.

Enter a VLAN ID number and Name for the new VLAN. When finished, click Apply Changes.

In the left navigation, click Port Settings. Make any changes on the VLAN Port Settings page and then click Apply Changes.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 27th, 2014 10:00

You select the vlan on the vlan membership page and choose tagged for that port for all of the vlans that you want it to be in. 

May 18th, 2016 08:00

When someone say a "TRUNK port", it means that the port must support 2 tagged VLANs in the same port.

When a port has only 1 VLAN tagged, it doesn't means that the port is a trunk port.

May 18th, 2016 08:00

Guys, a "TRUNK" port is a port with more than 1 tagged VLAN. I found no way to configure this on dell 2848....

Does anyone knows how to configure 2 tagged vlans in the same port on 2848 ??

Thanks

1 Message

September 22nd, 2016 02:00

Hello,

I have the exactly the same problem.

Have you manage to do it?

Thanks

October 5th, 2016 13:00

For anyone looking for a solution to this still I think I found it. 

You need to go to open up the Port Settings page like this

Switch -> VLAN - Port Settings 

There you can configure a port as an access/trunk port

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 17:00

I realize this is old post, but in my Dell 2848 switch, I do not see the "Port VLAN Mode" at all. 

Could you check your firmware version? mine is as below. I am wondering if I need to update firmware... 

Software Version  1.0.0.38
 Boot Version 1.0.0.12  
 Hardware Version 00.00.02

3 Posts

June 15th, 2017 15:00

Hi CHIRAG11,

Did you find an answer to this? I have the same issue. I don't see the port vlan mode option in the gui and I was told it could be done in the command line with "config-if# switchport mode trunk"  but that's not an available command on the switch I'm using. 

Thanks, 

3 Posts

June 15th, 2017 16:00

So I just figured this out!!

If you want to make a port a "Trunk" port on a PowerConnect 2848 make sure the port is assigned to VLAN1 and set it "T" instead of "U"

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

June 15th, 2017 16:00

Yes that is correct - just Tag all the VLANs that you want to pass in the Trunk.
No Events found!