Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2015 11:00

IP Helper

Im trying to enter the IP address of the DHCP server (100.100.100.80) but it keeps telling me it has to be in A.B.C.D format. 

This is on a N2048 switch.  Basically what Im trying to do is setup DHCP relay from vlan 2 to vlan 1.  Ports 1-24 are vlan 1 and 25-48 are vlan 2  the DHCP server is physically plugged into port 1 if that matters. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 5th, 2015 07:00

I received the same message as you did when entering this IP address in the web UI. However the IP address works fine if you enter it in the CLI. I will have to do some further research on why the web UI is behaving this way. For the time being you will need to connect to the switch CLI in order to use an IP address in this subnet.

A common used tool to make a telnet/ssh connection to the switch is putty.

http://www.putty.org/

Once the program is open select telnet as the connection type. If telnet has been disabled and ssh enabled, then select SSH. In the host name box enter the switch IP address. Then click the open button.

Once the CLI window is open you will be presented with a prompt that says: console>, enter the following commands.

console> enable

console# configure

console(config)# ip helper-address 100.100.100.80 dhcp

Once that is done then issue the following command to ensure the command is in place.

console(config)# show ip helper-address

Once you are satisfied with the configuration you will need to save the running configuration to the startup configuration.

console(config)# end

console# copy running-config startup-config

Let us know if you have any questions about this process.

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 13:00

I'm only using the Web ui, don't know anything about the command line    in the ip helper clicked add selected dhcp but it won't accept the ip address.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2015 13:00

Can you show us the command you were entering?The command should look like this:

console(config)#ip helper-address 100.100.100.80 dhcp

Page 1441 of the user guide has some further information on the command, including some examples.

http://dell.to/1FN7Tkq

Thanks

No Events found!