Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2011 07:00

ISCSI configuration on 6248

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to use a stacked pair (using 48g stacking modules) of 6248s atop my rack for server and storage network connections and some LAG connections back to my core. I originally thought of using 5448 because it was ISCSI-optimized but really like what the stacking provides in terms of inter-switch throughput and management. That said, can the 6248 be configured similarly so that is also ISCSI-optimized? My guess is yes but might take a little more config than the 5448. Is it simply just turning on jumbo-frames, flow-control, a bit of CoS, etc? Does anyone know the full list of "optimizations" and if so could list? Thanks in advance.

Also, in reference to a comment made by "Dell-Joe S" in this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-switches/f/866/p/19361251/19807424.aspx#19807424

Does anyone know if this is the latest 6248 firmware (1/21/2011 v3.2.1.3,A22) that is safe from the dropped ISCSI packets that Dell-Joe S refers to?

Thanks.

-CS

72 Posts

March 17th, 2011 12:00

Hi,

As far as I know that list isn't very big:

• turn on flow control
  • use jumbo frames
  • if you need STP use R-STP (MST) and portfast feature 
  • turn off unicast storm control
  • use separate VLAN
  • QoS is not recommended by Dell and EqualLogic

iSCSI optimized switch do it automatically for EqualLogic Arrays and also provides some additional information about iSCSI traffic. I can't say about it in details, because I have no practice with PC55XX, but for me it looks like PR and advertisment.

No Events found!