Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2014 08:00

LAG & STP on two 2808 switches

I have two PowerConnect 2808 switches.  The switches are in two different buildings and are connected with two wireless bridge connections.  The wireless bridge connections are in parallel (Bridge 1 connects to port 1 on both switches and Bridge 2 connects to port 2 on both switches).  I want to utilize the aggregation feature to send data across both links as well as provide redundancy so that if one of the Bridge connections is cut, the other one carries the traffic. 

I have configured my lag to LAG 1 for both ports on both sides.  However, on occasion while traffic is passing over the link, I lose access to the management interfaces on the bridges.  If I remove the LAG, this goes away.  Is this an STP issue (am I creating a loop)?  Should I have STP on the lag?  If so, does that remove the aggregation of data across both connections?  Is there something else that would cause the management interfaces to be reachable while in LAG?

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 11:00

The bridges are agnostic.  They act like ethernet cables when connected.  They don't structure or shape the traffic in any way.  If I turn on STP, will they still aggregate the traffic?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 11:00

Spanning tree should be enabled. Do the wireless bridge devices support link aggregation? If the switch is setup for link aggregation, but the bridge is not, this behavior would not be unexpected.

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 12:00

Ubiquiti Airfiber

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I see, thanks for the info. When you lose the ability to connect to the management interfaces on the bridges, does traffic still traverse between sites? When this happens if you look at the switch management page at Switch>ports>port configuration, do the ports show to be down or up?

I would also check and see what firmware levels the hardware is at. Having the firmware up to date can help with interoperability of devices.

The bridges look like they had some recent firmware come out not long ago.

http://www.ubnt.com/download/

Here is the latest switch firmware.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

On the switch you can also look for dropped packets, fragments, jabbers, collisions, etc. on the statistics/RMON>RMON>statistics page.

Keep us posted.

7 Posts

The firmware is current.  Just updated.  

The traffic does still traverse between the sites when the management interfaces are unreachable.  The ports show to be up.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

The switches will still aggregate the traffic with STP enabled. What model is the wireless bridge?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 13:00

Did they have any insight or suggestions?

Are you able to ping the bridge IP address? When you try to access the management interface what message does it give you?

7 Posts

Yes.  I'm checking with them as well.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Unfortunately with the 2800 switches the LAG feature is very basic. There is no way to go in and change the settings. Either there is a LAG, or there is not one. Have you considered contacting Ubiquiti  support to see if they have seen this issue before?

7 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 14:00

Nothing from them yet.  No ping and no web interface when I attempt to hit it on the LAG ports.  Works fine when LAG is removed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 14:00

with all other traffic working fine, I am not sure what the cause would be here. I would say try setting up port mirroring to monitor the traffic when you attempt to connect to the bridge, but port mirroring is not supported on a LAG.

I am interested to see what Ubiquiti support says. See if they have any KB articles on this kind of setup, any caveats for a setup like this, etc.

Keep us posted

No Events found!