Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2017 02:00

N3024 to N2024 Vlan routing configuration

Hi,

I'm unable to route/ping between vlan subnets (except the Management vlan). The N3024 configured as the core and ip routing is enabled. Vlan interfaces are configured with an ip address. Trunk ports have all the the vlans I've created, allowed. The config is pretty much straight out of the cli/user guide for the model. However, trying to research this problem I've come across conflicting advice which seem to contradict the manuals content?

1). Every Vlan requires its own ip address on each network switch?

2). Static routes between switches for the vlans?

3). IP Routing configured on each switch (should not the global command cater for this)?

Any guidance would be appreciated 

• 

8.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2017 11:00

Hi,

For the first question it is recommended to do this. 2. You shouldn’t need static routes between switches for the VLANS they should see it as directly connected. 3. It is easier if each switch has it enabled so different VLANs connected to that switch can communicate without sending the traffic up to the next switch that can do the routing. How many VLANs do you have? Are the other ports configured as access ports on the VLAN that the client is supposed to be in? If you have two clients on the same switch but in different VLANs can they ping?

6 Posts

May 24th, 2017 03:00

Hi Josh,

Thank you for the prompt reply and through your confirmation I've achieved ping and RDP across 2 subnet vlans over separate switches (L3+L2). However, I have to use a static IP to achieve this as the device does not lease a DHCP from the Windows server scope and I'm also unable to access the Internet. The points below further highlight my configuration.

1). The source device is connected to the correct vlan access port (L2 switch) and the GW ip address assigned to the device matches its corresponding Vlan interface IP address.

2). I'm using a collapsed core design. The ip helper address on the core switch points to the Windows dhcp and dns server IP address .

3). The core switch ip route address points to the ip address of the edge router but this means I have a subnet that has a ip address as a GW on the core and another as GW of the edge router? How is this overcome?

4). I have 7 VLAN and the Windows DHCP server has a scope for each associated subnet.

Any further insight t resolve this is appreciated.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 24th, 2017 10:00

What does show route show? Which VLAN is the internet on?

6 Posts

May 24th, 2017 15:00

"Show ip route static" shows the correct GW IP address of the edge router and the Internet is on this same vlan 10. Although all vlans can connect to this Internet vlan 10, only the subnet associated with  vlan 10 can access the Internet. DHCP doe not lease IP addresses to devices outside of vlan 10 which I assume is part of the reason for no Internet access?

• 

8.7K Posts

May 24th, 2017 16:00

Where do the clients not on VLAN 10 point to for DNS? Can they ping the router?

6 Posts

May 25th, 2017 09:00

This is the crux of my problem it appears. Subnets can ping the all 10 vlan interface ip addresses across the swtiches; but only devices that have a static ip address communicate i.e I am able to RDP a device on a different subnet. 

ip helper-address for dhcp and domain reside on the core switch only. Is this adequate or should the ip helper-address bind to each vlan interface? 

6 Posts

June 12th, 2017 02:00

Hi Inter-vlan routing is working and DHCP serves to lease IP addresses correctly. ISP has configured interfaces for Internet breakout but although I can ping all vlan routed ip addresses connected I cannot ping the gateway IP even though it is on the same subnet as successfully connected devices.

Through a flat network using Netgear switches Internet breakout is fine. Does any one have any advice?

Thank you.

No Events found!