Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2012 06:00

PowerConnect 6248 and Broadcom NIC Teaming

I have a few PowerEdge servers with Broadcom 57xx nics that are configured for  teaming (802.3ad LACP). I've noticed that i am getting packet loss on the these servers that this was done on. There are no LAG groups assigned to any ports on the switch. Is this even needed to make this work properly? If so can someone walk me though the proper switch configuration to make this work. 

Thanks in advance.

May 18th, 2012 08:00

try this:

interface ethernet 1/g43

channel-group 1 mode auto

description 'Server eth0'

exit

!

interface ethernet 1/g44

channel-group 1 mode auto

description 'Server eth1'

exit

!

interface port-channel 1

description 'Server'

exit

------------------------

"channel-group 1 mode auto" configures LACP

After configuring it this way you should pull out one cable and check if is still up and running. Then with the other cable as well.

Thilo

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I would also suggest making sure the switch firmware is up to date, along with the server NIC driver being up to date also.

Here is the firmware for the switch.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Not sure what server you are using.

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

Thanks for the reply Thilo. I made the change on one of the servers. I was able to pull one of the cables and maintain connectivity. Also, i have not seen any further packet loss since making the change. I just want to confirm with you that when i make the changes for the other servers that have NIC teaming, i increment the port-channel command by 1, correct? So in essence, the command for "server b" would be "channel-group 2 mode auto" for both of the interfaces.

Thanks again for your assistance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 18th, 2012 11:00

Good to hear the LAG has corrected the issue you were seeing. Yes each new LAG/channel group will need to be a different number from any previous LAG you have setup. It is perfectly fine to just go 1,2,3,etc.

Thanks

3 Posts

May 18th, 2012 11:00

That's for the info. BTW the NICs are up to date but the switch is behind. I will schedule some downtime to get that updated. Thanks for providing the link.

No Events found!