Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 23rd, 2012 18:00

QoS for VoIP on Dell PowerConnect switches

Hello,

I have a branch office that uses several Dell PowerConnect switches (2716's and 2724's).

This office also runs VoIP.

I need a way to prioritize the VoIP traffic over all other traffic across these switches. Can the Dell PowerConnect switches do this? I an doing some research and it looks like I might be able to but I'm not positive either.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

-Steve

802 Posts

May 24th, 2012 11:00

Steve,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  The 2724 User Guide does not have any information about Voice VLANs.  That is going to be your primary option in separating Voice traffic from all other traffic on the network.  That is the reason for my response.  The naming convention for the Power connect switches is the higher the series number the more features and configuration options you have.

Your all set if you have the 6224 and 5448 available.

Sorry for any confusion.

802 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 19:00

Steve,

The 27XX switch models do not have any features for VOIP QOS.

Here is a link to the switches that have VOIP support.

www.dell.com/.../power-over-ethernet-switches

QOS (Quality of Service - priority for traffic) starts with the 55XX model.

5 Posts

May 24th, 2012 09:00

Thanks you...

I also have two 5448's, so those won't do QoS for VoIP either?

I have one 6224 and that does have QoS for VoIP?

802 Posts

May 24th, 2012 10:00

Yes, the 6224 has QOS for VOIP page 35 of the User Guide for the 62XX model discussed the Quality of Service Features.  Configuring Voice VLAN is discussed starting on page 382.

support.dell.com/.../ucg_en.pdf

Yes, the 5448 switch does have QOS for VOIP.  Configuring Voice VLANs is discussed starting on page 343 of the User Guide. The 55xx is the next generation replacement of the 54xx switch.

support.dell.com/.../en_ug.pdf

5 Posts

May 24th, 2012 10:00

Thanks again.

The 2724 guide also mentions QoS and even mentions Voice. However you state they can not handle it. So perhaps I am still missing something.

What am I missing here?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/PC27xx/en/ug/PDF/UG_ENd.pdf

An implementation example that requires QoS includes certain types of traffic such as Voice, Video, and real-time traffic, which can be assigned a high priority queue, while other traffic can be assigned a lower priority queue. The result is an improved traffic flow for traffic with high demand. The system supports four queues per port. After a packet is classified, it assigned to one of the output queues. QoS Terms:

No Events found!