Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2012 10:00

Storm control limit on unicast possible?

Using a 5548 as my working example.

I've enabled storm control at it's most sensitive level with:

interface gigabitethernet1/0/1
 storm-control broadcast enable
 storm-control broadcast level kbps 3500
 storm-control include-multicast unknown-unicast

Yet initiating a packet flood, albeit unicast, doesn't trigger the protection.  Unfortunately this is exactly the case I am trying to protect against.

Doing similar on a Cisco switch will allow protection to be triggered simply by traffic hitting a preset level - in the case I've set up, 90% of a port's potential bandwidth with:

interface FastEthernet0/1
 storm-control unicast level 90.00 50.00
 storm-control action shutdown
 storm-control action trap

Is there a way to implement similar protection on the Dell switch?

802 Posts

June 28th, 2012 15:00

After further research Power Connect switches do not have an option or configuration to react to “known unicast” packets at this time.  Even the 7024 and 8024 have no mention of "known unicast".

802 Posts

Broadcast Rate Threshold (3500-1000000) — Enter the maximum rate (Kbits/sec) at which unknown packets are forwarded.  It looks like you have the minimum threshold set.  Have you tried a different/higher threshold?

Also do you have the latest firmware installed?  Version A04 v4.1.0.1 was released 5/31/2012.  Here is link for download.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

12 Posts

I set various thresholds, eventually setting it very low as an attempt to get it to trigger.  No difference.  As I want it to trigger on known unicast traffic, broadcast just doesn't cut it.

I'm on firmware 4.0.1.11, but I'm not reporting a bug, just asking if the behaviour I'm seeking is possible, so I don't think the firmware revision is important, unless you can say there are new options in the new version!

802 Posts

June 14th, 2012 11:00

Unfortunately,  that is the limit of the 55xx switch.  The 62xx and 7024 have more specific commands for Unicast.  The 7024 has

console(config-if-1/0/1)#storm-control unicast level 5

storm-control unicast [level | rate]

no storm-control unicast

• level— The configured rate as a percentage of link-speed.
• rate — The configured rate in kilobits per second (kbps). (Range: 0-100)

12 Posts

June 15th, 2012 03:00

It looks the storm-control unicast settings on the 6248 I'm testing with are the same as the storm-control include-multicast unknown-unicast settings on the 5548, and only apply to unknown unicast packets, where I'm attempting to have the storm control settings react to "known unicast" packets.

Is there a way to do this on PowerConnect switches?

No Events found!