Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 14:00

Windows 2012 R2 to Power Connect 2848

I have a simple question. What should I set the LAG to on the Dell (2,3, 2/3) and the Windows 2012 R2 team (static, dynamic, LACP), (address hash)?

Thank you

• 

8.5K Posts

February 1st, 2016 15:00

Hi,

The 2848 only supports static lag, so that is the option you should use.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2016 16:00

Static LAG with what? Do I set LAG to layer 3 and then on windows go with static, address hash, ?

• 

8.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 08:00

Yes that is the best option unless you are using hyper-v guests.

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 09:00

What do you mean by Hyper-V Guest? I do have Hyper-V VMs, two of them.

• 

8.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2016 10:00

Guest is the same as VM. Is everything running in VMs? http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/10/16/nic-teaming-in-windows-server-2012-do-i-need-to-configure-my-switch.aspx

• Address Hash - Load balances outbound network traffic across all active NICs, but only receives inbound traffic via one of the NICs in the team.  Since the switch isn't actively involved in the "Switch Independent" teaming mode, it can't load balance inbound traffic across all active NICs.  This mode can work well if your server has little traffic inbound and lots of traffic outbound that you are trying to load balance - Web servers and FTP servers are examples of typical server roles that work well in this scenario.

• Hyper-V Port - If your server is a Hyper-V host with multiple running VMs, this load balancing mode is normally preferred in most situations.  When using "Hyper-V Port" load balancing, VM's will be distributed across the network team and each VM's outbound and inboundtraffic will be handled by a specific active NIC.  This mode works really well in scenarios where you are consolidating many VM's on a physical Hyper-V host, but where none of the VM's are generating a network load that exceeds the bandwidth of one NIC in the team.  In this use case, NIC teaming provides a very cost-effective way of load balancing the aggregate traffic from all VMs across the active team members, but remember ... each VM is assigned to a specific NIC in the team, so none of the VM's will be able to access more bandwidth than what one NIC provides.

No Events found!