Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2012 14:00

alarming/monitoring broadcast storms

With broadcast storm-control enabled, you might have a broadcast storm, and not know it.  Are there CLI "show" commands, SNMP traps or syslog messages which show when storm-control kicks-in?  I'm especially using PowerConnect 62xx.

802 Posts

December 20th, 2012 15:00

You can view the traffic over an interface with this command.

console#show statistics ethernet 1/g1

--text omitted—

Unicast Packets Received....................... 1155457

Multicast Packets Received..................... 48339

Broadcast Packets Received..................... 76702

--text omitted—

You can get a similar view from the Web GUI Statistics/RMON=Table Views-Interface Statistics

I’m not aware of any traps that can be set.

I can look into what other possible options are available for notification.

Hope this helps,

43 Posts

December 20th, 2012 16:00

Thanks; "show stats" doesn't tell me if a port is being throttled.   I could get out a stopwatch and do a few show commands, and do some arithmetic, and if the resulting number of received broadcast packets are above my configured threshold, then I could assume that the traffic is being dropped.  But unless I check frequently, or graph ifInBroadcastPkts on every port of every switch, and alarm based on that, then I would never know if/when a port is flooding.

802 Posts

December 21st, 2012 08:00

There are not any built in tools available that allow alarm notification for broadcast storms.  The options are to use a 3rd party tool that has that has the capability to monitor the switch.  Ex - Open Manage Network Manager or SolarWinds.

OMNM - www.dell.com/.../pd

43 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 12:00

Thanks, Willy.  Does OpenManage monitor ifInMcastPkts ?  Or also something like ifInDiscards ?

The problem with polling "ifInMcastPkts", is that most NMS only poll at 5-minute intervals.  In my case, a customer plugged-in their device with bpdufilter, created a storm (which was limited to 12kpps by Dell's default storm control), then unplugged his cable 30 seconds later.  My 5-minute poller showed 1.2kpps of ifInMcastPkts over the 5 minute poll interval, which is high, but not crazy.

If there is a counter which increases during storm-control discard action (maybe ifInDiscards ?), then I could correlate a spike in input multicasts with an increase in discards in the same poll interval, and guess that storm-control kicked-in, even if only for one or two seconds.

Of course, other vendors have "storm-control action trap", but we'll work with what we can get.

No Events found!