This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 08:00

vLan best practice

Hello,

This
might be a very simple question; I just need to be sure that what I am doing is
correct to avoid any negative consequences.

All
I need to do is add a vLan that is segregated from the default vLan, users on
the new vLan cannot access the default vLan but can access the Gateway via
Interface 1.

does
this look right?

interface ethernet g(01)

switchport mode trunk

exit

vlan database

vlan 101

exit

interface ethernet g(39)

interface switchport access vlan 101

exit

interface ethernet g(1)

switchport trunk allowed vlan add

exit

interface vlan 100

name Guest_Lan

exit

In
using Access mode for the new vLan and using Trunk mode for the Gateway
interface, is that correct or should I use Customer & General?

Thanks
in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 29th, 2013 11:00

On your Trunk connection make sure to include all VLANs you want to be able to traverse that connection. So if you want both 100 and 101, then they will both need to be in the command.

#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 100,101

Trunk mode will be used when connecting the switch to the other network devices,  and access mode will be used to place an end device, like a workstation, into a specific VLAN.

13 Posts

May 29th, 2013 11:00

I appreciate your response, In what senario would you use Mode General or Customer so I know? another question; would i be able to plug in a dumb hub into Interface 39 in the example above and plug in more than 1 PC to the hub for all to be on vLan 101?

Thanks,

13 Posts

May 29th, 2013 12:00

It's a PowerConnect 5448.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

General Links consist of a combination of VLAN Trunk and Access Links.

General Links can have both tagged and untagged frames, However, all frames sent to a specific VLAN must be tagged.  All untagged  frames are sent to the native VLAN.

The native VLAN still applies to the General LINK.  While it is possible to have multiple untagged vlans on a General link, you can only have ONE (1) PVID.  The PVID represents the native VLAN.  

While untagged traffic may be sent via several untagged VLANs, returning untagged traffic will only be received by the PVID and therefore will NOT be forwarded to a specific VLAN.

General links are mostly used today for legacy equipment.  However, on the PowerConnect 62xx series switches, you must use General mode if you want to allow management traffic onto the switch over the PVID.  

What switch is being used here and I will look at the customer mode.

I have seen situations where access mode on a hub works fine, and other times where it wont work. So I cannot say with certainty that it will work, but it would be worth trying.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Looks like that is only going to be used in specific scenarios.

QinQ tagging allows network managers to add an additional tag to previously tagged packets. Customer

VLANs are configured using QinQ. Adding additional tags to the packets helps create more VLAN space.

The added tag provides an VLAN ID to each customer, this ensures private and segregated network

traffic. The VLAN ID tag is assigned to a customer port in the service providers network. The designated

port then provides additional services to the packets with the double-tags. This allows administrators to

expand service to VLAN users.

13 Posts

May 29th, 2013 13:00

Thank you Daniel.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2013 17:00

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advise here, i'm using 6224 as core switch and downlink to 2 units of 6224F and also 35 units of 5524P mainly for Wi-Fi and IPTV.   The access point i'm using Ruckus 7352 and 7055 total around 350 units, can anyone suggest the which is the best vlan setup using general or trunk for the uplink between switches and the end point devices is access point which support vlan so should i configure access mode or trunk mode at the PoE switch port. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 12th, 2013 08:00

Here is a good document on VLAN based network segmentation.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pwcnt/en/app_note_8.pdf

Is all traffic currently on one VLAN? One of the easiest ways to look implementing vlans is to look at where traffic originates. Of the 350 units do these reside in different buildings, or provide access for different user groups, or types of traffic?

With the 62xx units I recommend using General mode connections when connecting to other networking devices. With the 35xx units I recommend using Trunk mode connection. Access mode will be used when connecting clients to the switch, or when all traffic on just one VLAN.

Cheers

2 Posts

November 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi Daniel, 

Thanks for the reply, all APs are within single hotel resort premises.  We need to have two VLAN to segregate the traffic for Free Zone and Paid Zone, since it's one room one AP concept so we are connecting the guest room Smart TV Lan interface directly to Ruckus 7055 additional LAN port.

Since Ruckus Controller and AP does support VLAN do you think its good idea to use all 5524 24 PoE ports as trunk port including the switch to switch uplink across all 5524 switches and we manage the VLAN ID setting from AP and gateway.   

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 13th, 2013 06:00

Absolutely, since the access points will be sending tagged traffic for multiple VLANs, using Trunk port mode is the way to go.

No Events found!