Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2006 13:00

1390 WLAN Mini Card

i am having problems with my 1390 Wlan Mini Card included in my inspiron 6400.
it only connets sometime to my wireless network.
does anyone else have a problem were it works for a while ok than it goes very slow than it disconnect  and everythime i restart the pc i have hard time finding the wireless network.
it works perfectly with my other usb network adapter.
Customer service told me it's a software problem but i really don't think so.
i just like to know if someone else experienced these type of problems and if it was software or hardware.
thank you

9 Posts

June 25th, 2006 11:00

The 1390 card in my new E1505(same as 6400) has the same problem. It never worked properly since day one. I've been troubleshooting this for the whole week. I tried with 3 different routers and got same results. The routers are all good because other adapters can work with them without any problem. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling driver, tried old version driver, tried increasing power by changing the card's advanced driver setting,  tried updating routers' firmware, tried removing the cover and keyboard to see if the card and antenna are installed securely, tried safe mode with networking, tried everything I can do with no success. Finally I called Dell tech support. They basically went through the same steps I had done and of course no success. The tech support ran out of options but didn't want to admit it's a hardware defect or driver problem. They say they need to think about if there are other things they can do and will call me back next week. I'm not optimistic.

249 Posts

June 25th, 2006 18:00

You might want to try switching to channel 1 or 11.  I had this problem and after all my other attempts to fix I just bought a new router.  Have not had the problem since. 

9 Posts

June 26th, 2006 10:00

Changing channels was one of first things to try. Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

9 Posts

July 1st, 2006 03:00

I finally found the problem and fixed it, without help from dell support. It turned out to be the internal antenna. In Windows, go to Device Manager, open properties for the 1390 card, go to Advanced tab, select Antenna Diversity. The default value is Auto. If I change it to Aux, the card can connect to the router very quickly and maintain a stable connection. If I change it to Main or Auto, the card has trouble connecting to the router and if it does connect, the connection is unstable, and also the sensitivity is very poor. It can detect much fewer hotspots than using Aux. This has nothing to do with the position of the router.

To see if it is a problem with the card or with the antenna, I opened the hinge cover and removed the keyboard to expose the card under the keyboard. Both antenna cables were well connected. I disconnected the Main antenna cable (the white one). The Aux antenna cable(the black one) stayed connected. Then set Antenna Diversity to Aux, tested the connection. It worked. I then connected the Aux cable to the Main connector on the card, set Antenna Diversity to Main. It still worked. Then I disconnected the Aux cable, used the Main cable to connect to each of the two connectors on the card, set Antenna Diversity accordingly, and tested the connection in each case. In both cases, the connection was bad. After these tests, it can be verified that the Main antenna, not the card itself,  is probably bad. But I'm not sure why the Main antenna is not working well. The antenna is inside the LCD panel. To troubleshoot the antenna I may have to disassemble the LCD panel assembly. That may void the warranty so I decided not to take the risk, even though I know how to do that. BTW, getting access to the 1390 mini card does not affect warranty, as tech support said.

This is my first time I order a Dell product and will be the last time, given so many troubles I had.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2006 04:00

i followed your instruction and it works. After i switched to aux my connection is very fast and stable

i would never found this problem, Thank you Tank you Tank you

1 Message

July 15th, 2006 13:00

Also try disabling the "Power Save Mode" and the "Minimum Power Consumption" properties. I found these options were dorking up my connection (new Latitude D620 w/ 1390 to an older 802.11b Netgear router). The card was dropping packets when these properties were enabled. Certain links would load but others wouldn't (especially encrypted sites).

It's a shame Dell is still unloading these cards on its good folk that support their business. 1390 problem reports are all over this and other forums. After hours of troubleshooting mine, I finally got it to work. My lessoned learned here is do a bit more research before buying. Trust is something earned and I use to trust Dell.

8 Posts

September 16th, 2006 22:00

this a very intersting thing, i`ll check it tommmoro at my university.

did you run the diagnostics? - did you get an error?

4 Posts

September 24th, 2006 12:00

Thanks so much...
Tried this as well and I believe (cross fingers) that it solved the problem...

I have 3 year complete care so I will keep an eye on it and just get them to fix it later if it crops up again....

Thanks again!

LIP

3 Posts

October 27th, 2006 00:00

"I finally found the problem and fixed it, without help from dell support. It turned out to be the internal antenna. In Windows, go to Device Manager, open properties for the 1390 card, go to Advanced tab, select Antenna Diversity. The default value is Auto. If I change it to Aux, the card can connect to the router very quickly and maintain a stable connection. If I change it to Main or Auto, the card has trouble connecting to the router and if it does connect, the connection is unstable, and also the sensitivity is very poor. It can detect much fewer hotspots than using Aux. This has nothing to do with the position of the router."

thanks Kyle I saw your post and this made the difference for me also.

peace

33 Posts

February 16th, 2007 01:00

Darned amazing. I'm over at a friend's house troubleshooting her computer. My wireless was working fine. Her's was dismal. I found this answer on the forum and Shazzam!! it worked.

Not going to take the card apart to check the antenna, but going to the aux. did it!

Many thanks.

George

6 Posts

March 21st, 2007 00:00

I tryed this fix and it didnt seem to work. It might have made it a little worse. when i tried it the connection went to limited connectivity then no internet connection. I have an inspiron e 1705 with Vista. Any other ideas cause im having the same problem.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2007 04:00

It didn't work for me. I changed to Aux, then I lost connection immediately.

32 Posts

July 24th, 2007 00:00

Well, that worker for me too :)

but I'm not sure if i changed the first field too by mistake,
what is "Afterburner" set to ??

No Events found!