Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 19th, 2009 07:00

ATT U-Verse DSL & Dell E1705 Wireless Issues

Hey all- Just a few days ago had to do a clean install of Windows XP Media Center on my laptop. Since then my wireless speeds have been much slower. I've got ATT U-Verse with the Elite DSL package (up to 6.0Mpbs), 2-Wire Modem (not sure which one, I'm at work right now), a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop, and an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Card. My download speeds are 5.664 Mpbs when wired but 1.840 Mpbs when wireless. I used the speedtest on the ATT page for these readings but when I use another site like speedtest.net both the wireless and wired download speeds are around the 5.6-5.8 Mpbs speeds. How can 2 speedtest sites come out so differently? I did not have this problem before the clean install as both wireless and wired ran at the same speed. Any idea who to contact (Dell or ATT) or any other helpful info to fix this problem? Thank in advance, Terry

3.6K Posts

May 19th, 2009 07:00

If you are not already using Intels' wireless driver,here,  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17526  ,install it and try again with the test.You might also want to install Intels wireless utility,found at bottom of this page.Here are both,  http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2259&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Media+Center+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=88&submit=Go%21  .

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 19th, 2009 13:00

Terry,

Wired will always be faster than wireless. I see you have a ABG card so the fastest spped will be the G speed unless the router is a B router. If you have a wireless N router, the speed will only be as fast as G speed because of your wireless card. If you would have a wireless N router and a wireless N card, you would get some increase in speed but being wired is ALWAYS faster.

Hope this vclears everything up for you.

Rick

May 19th, 2009 17:00

I realize that wired will be faster but its not going to be 4 or 5x faster. Like I stated, before the reinstall both wired and wireless ran at least 5.4-5.8 Mpbs. I have the lastest intel drivers and wifi utility installed so I'm not sure what is wrong.

No Events found!