Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2013 13:00

Alienware MX11 wifi problem

hello my name is Karina and im having the exact same problem with my pc only i have a dell alienware mx11. For some reason my wifi connection wont work. I went into the BIOS to make sure it was enabled and it was. I have a windows 7 home premium. When I hold the FN and F3 which is how to turn on my wifi nothing happens.......PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS!!!!!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 1st, 2013 13:00

karinathomas,

Did you try Fn and F2, F2 or look for a switch on the side?

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER and post the information back here.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

September 4th, 2013 01:00

Hi Karina,

Try pressing the F3 key alone to check if that enables the Wireless radio or not. Make sure that Wireless Network and Wired Network are enabled in BIOS. Here are the steps to do that:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS Setup'.
  • Click on the Advance tab.
  • Wireless Network and Wired Network will be listed there.
  • Make sure that they are enabled. Press F10 key to Save and Exit.

Check if the wireless drivers are installed or not under Device Manager. Here are the steps to access Device Manager:

• Press the key combination Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • The Device Manager windows will appear.
  • Wireless card will be listed under Network Controllers.

Please share if you see any yellow bang on it or not. If the Wireless card is not listed under Network Controller, then check if there is any device listed under Other Devices in Device Manager with yellow band on it.

Try updating the Wireless drivers. Here are the steps:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/15qqGcr
  • Enter the Service Tag of your system and select the operating system.
  • You will find the wireless driver under 'Networks'.
  • Download and install the drivers following the onscreen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

January 5th, 2014 17:00

I had a similar problem. Finally, I found holding Function key + F3 turns the Wireless Network ON or OFF. This solved my problem.

No Events found!